Tuesday, February 24, 2009

RECESS...

Ok, I know I've been getting New York Times Happy on this blog... but I found another interesting article that I wanted to share with you all.... Check this out... Tell me what you think NAEYC would think about it (www.naeyc.org)

Click on "recess" below:
Recess...

60 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helen said, All work and no play makes jack a dull boy this simply goes with the article because when you are in school or just studying for an exam you need time out to relax your brain because it gets to a time you would not be able to understand what the teacher is teaching or what you are studying. i love this article because what it is all about is very true and the government need to do something about this in our educational system.

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm Shanta and I just think it is completely ridiculous for
recess to be eliminated from schools. I don't feel it would be
very benefical for children to coop up in their classrooms all day. A part of children being young is for them to have fun and
enjoy their childhood. How will they be able to do that if adults try to take that away from them.

Anonymous said...

Rmoore said, Our brain was not made to continue to work for 24 hours. Children need at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep. They need to excercise at least 3 times a week. Some of these children don't have that privilege. Having recess can release stress because it is a form of excercise. I feel that NAEYC should see the importance of recess and take action. While excercising teachers can learn a lot about their students. Recess can be a strategy for learning and Observing children the children.

Anonymous said...

Regina CDV 101
I really think recess is important to small children. Recess help children burn off unneccessary energy. So their minds can expand and expell knowledge.

Eyvette said...

I choose the article about recess. I believe that children need recess or outdoor play because holding children in all day don't do nothing but causes behavior promblems. Children need to burn all that energy to be able to learn and focus.

Anonymous said...

I am a true believer that children need time out of the classroom to release all their energy. The children today in the classes are put at too much book work and sitting for long periods of time. Adults need to strectch and get away from their office jobs so in return kids have all that energy and they cannot use it. IF you let the chidlren go out for even 15 minutes to let that energy out they will be more attentive to their study habits. With Chicago being a state of obesity in children you would think that recess would be essential to our children for the simple fact of exercise Janet 262

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Latrice and I think it is ridiculous the way some teachers think. Where I work she teaches Pre-4 and she do not allow them to play, go out for recess or anything. She stated that her job don't pay her to let the children play they pay her to teach. Every child needs recess, rest. I found out when children are allowed that time their attention span is a little longer and they enjoy learning.

Anonymous said...

This article is very important for teachers to read they have to know they kids need that exercise twice a day.For recess to be elminated is crazy kids need that break to relax their brains.These are kids they are suppose to play and have fun.NAECy really think about this children need to go out for play they will be more attentive in class and something to look forward to in school.Whats next take away nap time in daycare!! Richard CD262

Anonymous said...

I totally believe that children really do benefit from recess. Recess is an opportunity for the children to relax and it allows their minds to take a break from learning.Besides, if children are forced to learn and study all day while they are in school, they begin loose interest and they stop paying attention to what they are being taught. So give them a break!!! Tynesha Broome

Anonymous said...

I think that recess is ok for the younger children between the ages 5-9 because they are move hyper active then the older children. Recess is important because that's when the children have chase to be outside running, jump rope, and play on the swings. I would not take recess away from the children because that's part of their environment in school. If you take recess away "what are you going to do during that 30mintues of free time?
M.O Child dev.262

Anonymous said...

I don't know why teachers feel like play is not a form of learning even for school age children this is the time where they develop their social skills build those evrlasting friendships and discover their leadership abilities all of these things play a vital role in their learning process.Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Even we as adults need time away from our desk or the aggravation that we have going on in our lives don't our children deserve that same opportunity to run off their stress?Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

I think someone should really speak out to those teachers who say what they don't get psid to do because even though teachers rates are very low there is no amount of true money that can be placed on the educators because there impressions are life long and they should be strong advocates for play because that is the foundation of learning. Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

So many of our kids are over weight and stressed out from the lack of free time there receiving I don't think most people realize that recess may be the only time a child gets to go outside because of their neighborhood or family situation.Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Teachers forget about their foundation and how young kids learn through play I personally don't think it's a difference for a child who is school age. We as educators must put the needs of children first and remember what it was like to be a child and the wonderful learning experiencec we had during recess. Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Sequcia Wince CD120

I feel as though recess should be taken everyday for 30-45min.
If a child can play for awhile their mind can concentrate on their work afterwards. Thank you

Anonymous said...

P.Lofton
I think this article about recess does affect the way that children act. I feel that all children have so much energy and that some time doing the day they have to be allowed to just let it lose. If children have to just be in a classroom everyday they will get irrritated. I also hear that childrn are suppose to go out everyday because they need to be exposed to a small amount of the sun.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Lakiya and I agree that all work and no play causes children to act out as a result of the recess that they lack. Children need the opportunity to express themselves with other children during playtime. Gym is great, but it is infact apart of the daily schedule.

Anonymous said...

crystal dent children need a time for themselves, it impossible for children to work, work, work, and not be able to relax,recess will allow their minds to slow down a little and not get overloaded, we dont want to make it where they dont like school,so let tghem have a little fun, which is very important for everyone not just children.

Anonymous said...

I like the points that you made because all work and no play would be boring even for me and i am not a child even tho i don;t play but i do relax and just take five or ten mintures to get back on track.

Anonymous said...

i think a child should have recess. We all need some done time and children especially need this since they have so much energy. Honestly how would you have felt if they took recess away from you whe u were ten? I would go nuts and probably shut down! Kids need a little time out the day to enjoy. Sarah Garcia

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

Children need a outlet, and I believe recess is that outlet. Its the reason they can behave longer in class. That was earlier stated, and very clear.Children Learn through play.

Dewina McElroy said...

I always thought it was good for children to have recess. Childred need to have a break from sitting in class. They also need a break from using their brain. Recess will help them to focus better in class and give them time to exercise their bodies too.

Anonymous said...

natalie S CD 109
I feel that recess is one of the best ways to wind the children down somewhat because just having them sit for so many hours just has them really hyper throughout the day in my school we did not have recess we barely even had gym so alot of the kids that were in my class were always running around all over the place so personally i think it's good to let kids run around till they get tired and i also feel that it is the childs time they have to themselves.

Anonymous said...

I believe that children really do benefit from recess,it is an opportunity for the children to relax their minds from learning. their attention span is short and they will loose track to what they are learning in the process. I think that children should have some type of break during the day. LaShawn Ray

Anonymous said...

From Mochinique in CD 101,

I feel that the article was necessary because it was informative. The article was well written and it informed me of things that I was not aware of. A child's brain does need rest from mathematics, reading, and other subjects. If the child's brain is overworked then the child is likely to become hyperactive and or shut down-not wanting to learn anymore. Children can learn how to grow accustomed to things, learn to interact with others without fighting, and much more through play. In my opinion recess is not a privilege, it is a necessity. Recess can help children to stay in shape and, or to get into shape. I think NAECY should be aware of such an "issue" an address it in the favor of recess being recommended in schools. Obesity is a major problem in the United States, to help lower the rates of it add a little recess to the child's cirriculum!!!

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

http://childdevelopmentblog.info/ check out this link

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-2/recess.html check out this link please

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=113541



yes yes its another link, go look

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

http://school.familyeducation.com/educational-innovation/growth-and-development/38674.html



read please

Anonymous said...

Alita Brown C.D. 120
I think we are doing our children a great disservice by denying them recess and/or gym on a daily basis. The schools provide them with meals (both breakfast and lunch)loaded with sugar and carbs, and then wonder why children aren't able to sit still and focus during class time. It creates a cycle in which students become disruptive and can't concentrate. The teacher becomes upset and possibly takes away what little activity the child can participate in. Then everyone wonders why kids aren't retaining anything. They are wired on sugar.

Anonymous said...

Alita Brown C.D. 120
I'd also like to bring up something I saw in the news recently about how children aren't recieving enough vitamin D. The kids need a minimum of 15 minutes of sun exposure a day to ensure they attain the appropriate amount of vitamin D. Because children aren't getting enough there has been a dramatic increase in the amount of children developing Rickets.

Anonymous said...

A Cawthon, I think recess is very important for the growth and development of young children. Just as adults children need to find a way to release the stress they feel. Many children used recess a way to do so. As a result there have been more children displaying behavioral problems in the classroom.

Anonymous said...

A cawthon, to the comment Latrice made about the teacher not allowing her 4 year students the time to play. I think she needs to look into another field of study.If she truly feels that way she doesn't need to be a teacher. part of a child's development is allowing the children free will and free run.

Anonymous said...

Lakiya says,
The last time that I wrote you I agreed that recess was essential to a childs development and today I still stand by what I've said.
My son and daughter now go out for recess and I found that it takes that edge off when they get home. I know that if they didn't go out, they are so hyper and whinding down would be harder for me. Recess in the schools not only helps the children, but it also helps the teacher's day and the parents evening.

Anonymous said...

Shanta from CD 120 here. One of the major things that I've learned from my Child Development classes is that play is the best way for children to learn. It is through play that children are very much engaged in what they're doing and optimal learning takes place. Now when you take away recess from children then children aren't being allowed to be children. You can't keep children cooped up in a classroom all day and not think the child's behavior won't become difficult. Young children have a lot of energy to burn and need exercise to stay healthy. Childhood is so precious and only happens once. Lets let our children enjoy their childhood and not take recess away from them.

Anonymous said...

Tameka Williams- I completely agree with the article. Im in one class for an hour and twenty minutes; im distracted thirty minutes into class! As an adult, SOMETIMES its easy to regain concentration-but sometimes its not. I enjoy the ten minute break between classes even though I usually do nothing but walk around the building. Imagine sitting in class 7 1/2 hours! (My son is in school from 8am to 3:30pm) Recess is a must!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tameka Williams- a touch off the recess subject but....am I wrong for disagreeing with YEAR WRONG SCHOOL!!!!! Lets all take a trip down memory lane and recall the anticipation of the last day of school. HAVE A HEART!!!

Anonymous said...

Tameka Williams-commenting on Regina's comment: I agree with you. Recess is important to small children. Think about it though- the older you get, the more complex school becomes. Classes get tougher, work load increases, more is expected from you. All children need recess-not just the small ones! Im touching thirty and I know I need recess!!! Thank goodness Im able to create my own class schedule! LOL

Anonymous said...

Cleaster Steward

Children need recess to go outside and run around and get some exercise. Recess would cut out a lot of this chilhood obesity.

Anonymous said...

Cleaster Steward

Young children need recess it helps them with their cognitive development. Recess also gives children the chance to talk and play with their classmates.

Anonymous said...

i believe that recess is a great way for the child to rest his or her mind. because they have been taking knowledge in all day they should be able to relax their brain by playing with peers and doing what kids do. As far as being punished by taking recess away, i think that's cruel! no child should be banned from having recess.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia
I think that they schould not eliminated recess from any school because child learn more if they have 15 minutes of recess. Also they need to have fun for a while. Recess can be a strategy of relax and have some fun.

Anonymous said...

Rowna Miles
I think that giving children recess is a very good idea. I remember when I was little going to school. We looked forward to going to recess. It is a good time for children to get out and run out some pin-up energy that they have. It's just like when you have to read a book,and so many pages or chapters for class. We need to take a break sometimes from reading to get our thoughts together and focus back on our assignments.Children need that today,and also it will help them get in shape as well instead of them sitting at home playing video games all day.

Teka said...

Teka thinks that children need recess for several reasons.First, a child gets to go out side and release those emotions like playing,running jumping which is also healthy.Second the children get a break with their minds no books or math problem to figure out. And lastly,they can talk freely to one another about whatever.so i think recess is very influently helpful to a childs development.I did look forward to recess all the time.Give the children something besides books,give them fun too.

Anonymous said...

According to NAEYC standards, I think recess is vital to the young child. This time gives the brain time to rest. Most children are always busy doing something. Different things going on in their little minds constantly.
Spending time outdoors, will rewind them. At the same time relax their little minds to get ready for the next issue at hand.
The obesity issue with children has a lot to do with recess time. These children need recess, in class, there's no room to really run and stretch out.
Jewel McDowell CD262 CD109

Anonymous said...

As a child we had two recess,ione in the morning and one after lunch,my son has never had the luxury of even one,i think students deserve a break during class,especially the smaller ones,its hard to sit in a seat for hourson in,recess would probably even get rid of frustratons od the day for teachers and students,recess is a necessity i beleive
AIEYSHA CURRIN

Anonymous said...

Recess shouldn't be eliminated from school. Children need time to relax their brain after a series of activities that involve the use of brain. if this is not done, the child might go through a lot of stress that can lead to something else. As Helen say "All work and no play makes jack a dull boy". I think this need to be address and put into consideration, because if a child lack the fun they should have at their younger age, their will be an effect to that as they are growing older.CD-101 Ayodeji Adeyemi

Anonymous said...

MADDONNA WILSON:
I FEEL THAT ALL CHILDREN SHOULD GET RECESS IT REALLY HELPS THEM LEARNING HOW TO PLAY ALONG WITH CHILDREN OUTSIDE. IN THE ARTICLE I SEE IT TELLS THAT CHILDREN WITH HYPERACTIVITY NEEDS THE WALKS OUTDOOR TO HELP KEEP THEM CALM. THE OUTSIDE IS A COMFORT TO SOME CHILDREN. ITS TRUE IF A CHILD DONT GET PUNISH FOR OTHER BAD BEHAVIORS IN CLASS WHY TAKE RECESS WHEN A CHILD NEEDS THAT TIME ALSO FOR EXERCISE AND OTHER WAYS OF HELPING THE BRAIN.

Anonymous said...

gina colbert child dev.262
i think the children do need a time out to just let all the energy out. if u keep it captive within them they will explode on you and it want be a pretty sight. ive been in childcare settings and it can be hard for some children that are use to getting a breathe of fresh air.

Agapelove said...

I have to agree with Shanta. It is very foolish to take recess from children. All children need some form of outdoor play. As adults we find it hard for us to sit through 2hr lectures, can you imagine a child sitting in staying cooped up in school all day with no sunlight. Inhumane!!! Cutting recess in the schools, to me, is like not walking your dog daily.

C.Crockett

Anonymous said...

Sammy Lebron Child Dev. 101

Recess is can be a good thing and a bad thing for Children. one ting is, it should be mandetory for Children to have recess because if we keep them locked up doing work for all 6 to 8 hours of the day minusing lunch time and bathroom breaks, we will see frustration in them and lack of desire to learn. Recess is a privlidge but it is also very helpful because they are getting too much information crammed in their head where they are too young to remember everything they learned.

Anonymous said...

Teachers wake up all children need play during 6-8 hour class time who wants to be in a class room working all day no one especiaaly not kids. some adults have to walk out of class sometime for movement so why wouldn't you think a child wouldn't won't to move around. yes recess is a good idea. those children with extra energy will be more productive if they burn some of that energy. Teachers let these children play, play and all work is no fun for adults so how would you think a child feel.
smilton cd101

Anonymous said...

rosenice evans

i think that students will learn alot from outside classrooms as well as in the class room me myself i learn more when doing hands on work because you learn how to do things instead of reading how to do things because i believe that you can show someone better then you can tell them and every thing you learn isnt just as easy as it can be if you see it

Anonymous said...

Zenobia Barker: Kids need recess they often time need the down time to unwind and take a break from the grind of their school day . Just like adults who work all day and need to take a break need time to refocus to continue their day kids are no different.Not allowing kids that free time is going to make children be unruly.

Anonymous said...

Recess is very important for child development. kids need a lot of space to develop. so i agree that all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. Anquinetta Butler

Vickie Bradford said...

i am totally against cutting recess from school. Children need that play time to release and vent. Keeping them in a closed classroom setting all the day is very unhealthy.

lashann walker said...

i feel it is ridiculous there is no recess when i was a child i couldnt wait to get out of that classroom and play tht is why our children these days are overweight because they dont get to go out and play that often at least in school at home there is so much violence going on and then we have the video games just think of the health problems the kids of this generation can have they need exercise and then the fast food is pumped with all kind of stuff at least recess can let them run it off but where do they get it you cant find any summer or after school programs for the children unless you got money so what is left for the kids to do and we wonder why so many of our young is dieing at unthinkable rates

Rachel Adesola said...

I think it is important for children to have some kind of break in their day where they can have a physical break. They need a bit of time to release some of their energy. I think kids that have recess are more open to learning. It gives them a chance to come back more relaxed and able to focus on their studies. I think it would be good if it became required for all students.

Anonymous said...

i disagree with this article because i have work with pre school and day care children and also older children and well and when you give them recess especiall outside when they come back in there loud and rough and very engertic so if you try and put them down for a nap or time out there are stil want to play and have fun not still and quite.

kristina widemon