Tuesday, September 15, 2009

President Obama's speech to students

Please read this link and comment

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

This speech is something that I think everyone should read. He is encouraging our children to do their best and never give up no matter what their situtions is. So many people didn't approve of The President talking to our children.He is not telling anyone to go out and kill someone. He is telling our kids about his experience and maybe most of us have the same similarity. This is a great speech and I am glad that I had read his speech to my daughter. Rowna Miles CD-109

Charlette said...

This was my first time reading the speech that President Obama had made to the children I felt the speech was great. I enjoyed reading how the President included his lifestyle and shared with the children that he was from similar backgrounds as they were. He made a great point to the children when he said that education is needed for everything that you do.He also reminded the children that everyone has something they are good in. The best thing among several other that President Obama shared was that where you are now is not where you end that is for everyone. If you are not happy with your life if you need to change it is never too late... Thank You, Charlette Smith CD 262

Anonymous said...

C.Barnes
I love hearing Obama speak especially about education. I have never sat and listened to anyone's speech but Obama is so bold, and encouraging. I think i will read his speech to my little sister when she old enough to understand.

Avanica Sullivan said...

I think the speech was very honest and true. Not only President Obama give his own experiences and how important they were to education he also let you know how important it should be in your life. I liked that he made sure to say that lack of education does not fall directely on the teacher..because you have some really great teachers but there is only so much that they can do. You as the student have to want to learn and be ready to be engaged in learning. The speech was great!

Anonymous said...

After reading the speech finally my feelings twords the message are so for president Obama. After listning to all the uproar for nothing, he left our children a positve message and as the president he is keeping the education of our children first priority. I loved and enjoyed the speech and am interested in using it as motivation for my afterschoolers. joslyn Ewing -brown

Anonymous said...

First, I would like to comment on all the negative press surrounding this speech. Obama is the president, one of his jobs is to address the country. I feel society should stop under-minding him as president. I obsrved a video of President Obama at a political meeting in Russia. When the President entered the room, none of the dignitaries extended their hands to greet the U.S. President with a firm handshake. It's sad to think that the citizens of this country and that don't accept him. And unfortunately, that behavior is being passed on to the children. The address, I'm sure, was beneficial to some children who saw it because in some cases, families at home, or the teachers in some schools, are not encouraging children to do their best and MORE!! We all need help and an encouraging word to succeed.
William Hill CD 101

Anonymous said...

This speech was great I think that all kids that can read, should read it, or just listen to it, I thought that he had a lot to say to kids, no matter who they are and what their circumstance may be there is always hope as long as you study and stay in school. there are so many children who are out there in the streets trying to make up their minds as to which way to go, follow their friend or stay in school and become someone important.Our children of today need to hear, or read this speech i think it will make a difference in some child's life. life is hard.
Betty Ellis

Anonymous said...

P.Perry
What a great speech! I just loved the way that President Obama isnt ashamed to say where he has come from or the things that he has been through. President Obama is a GREAT example of a person who can come from any type of situation and make something of themselves. I believe that kids will be greatly inspired by him and his message will go a long way.

Anonymous said...

WOW!
Pesident Obama has won the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize. I guess now critics would see that Obama is doing a great job in his position as president.
William Hill cd101

lashann walker said...

i read this speech to my kids cause i felt that it was needed for all children to hear he is telling them that you have to take responsibilty for your life and that is the problem today eveyone is blaming someone else for not doing what they are suppose tobe doing when it takesevery individual the parents the kids the teachers and the schools.

Anonymous said...

The President shows he cares and wants to encourage the children that school really matters. President Obama is trying to give the students what he could'nt have when he was a young student and I think that is admirable and inspiring. If I had ideas like that, I would definatly give speeches and show that kind of fun loving energy around inner city students, even students from where ever. Just to show that I care and want to give back because its what I have a upcoming passion for. Sammy Lebron- CD 101-1 AC

Unknown said...

That was a very powerful speech. I don't like to read, but I enjoyed reading that. I even wish I would've heard it. I feel like that speech should have made EVERYBODY no matter their age, want to change their way of living. The things Obama stated were very true, and people say them everyday. Excuses get you no where but hard work and determination is the key to success. Lourenia CD262

Anonymous said...

Camille West
I enjoying reading this speech, the president encouraging words should inspire some. I am glad he took time to let the children know that he care for them. He also let them know that having an education is very important.

Anonymous said...

Shantai Prince


I truely appreciate Obama's speech to the students of public schools. I really think that it meant alot coming from an important man of color. Alot of young men see, that if a person of color can maake it in the world and accomlish anything they can too. No matter where you are from or how hard things are for you continue to strive. Let no one stand between you and your goals. You can only make excuses for so long until you run out of them. We as people deserve whats best for us, but it is not given to us, we all have to earn it.

Anonymous said...

Jewel


In Obama's speech, he mentioned the importance of eary childhood education. Children that attend DayCare have a better chance of going to college, holding a job, and staying in school. Every dollar spent toward education, equals ten dollars toward the economy.
High-school dropouts tripled in the last 30 years. The last important issue that Obama mentioned, is that
American's dropped from 2% to 11% of college graduates.

J.McDowell
CD262 109

Mochinique Jamason said...

From Mochinique,
President Obama spoke to his audience (our children of the future) in a way that many of them could relate to, understand, and pay attention to. THe speech is very realistic and believable, because President Obama included truth and examples of how children can overcome barriers and obstacles.
I strongly believe in what President Obama said, because change can come about but it takes more than on or two people to put it into affect. It takes a nation to put change into effect for it to last throughout the centuries to come.
Children listening to this speech, as well as others, were given a little necessary push to go about getting an education and careers. They probably didn't believe people like rappers, reality tv stars, and others worked hard-if at all, to get where they are, but everyone has to put in some form of hard work, time, and focus into becoming someone who has more out of life than others.
This speech is very heart-felt and necessary. Children need that boost to help them along their paths in life, they need to hear things like this form people who have experienced poverty, homelessness, poor education, etc. hands on. It makes them a whole lot more secure about their future successes.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

I think President Obama speech was very encouraging to people of all ages. I like the part where Obama says we all are gifted. He is right, when he says it is up to the individual to find one's on talent.

Anonymous said...

I think Obama is so personable,I never even cared about,well not cared because it did afeect me,but I neer took and interest in wat other Presidents had to say,Our children are our future,and I am glad to have a president thats takes a special interest in education,in not only children but adults as well

AIEYSHA CURRIN

Anonymous said...

Deborah said...This speech from President Obama is a speech everyone should read. I thought that it was such a great thing for President Obama to reachout to the children and talk to them about how important their education is and what he expect of them and is holding them accountable for their own education. Hearing this from Obama himself encourage the children in such a mighty way. It helps them realize that it is possible for me to do my best in school at home or in whatever I do. In Which they can learn from the President's experiences and challenges he had. Deborah Batie

Anonymous said...

The speech was superb! Encouraging little chidren to stay in school and engage themselve in learning.The speech was packed with full message, not only for the kid but to everyone, mostly to those to those that already under estimate themselve.The main point o his speech is to strive higher, never give up, do what you supose to do like study, stay in class and engage youself with learning.Never too late to achieve your potential goal if you work toward it. CD-101-Ayodji Adeyemi

Anonymous said...

Katrese Alexander Child Dev.262
President Obama's speech was very uplifting and encouraging to children of all ages. Starting the new school year with all the violence that's going on in the world he made it comfortable for the children with that one speech. It to the children probably made them feel important that the president cares that much for their education.

Dewina Mcelroy said...

I think that the president's speech on education was very up lifting. I liked the way he talked about the way his mother raised him on the importances of education. I think it was good for our children to hear his speech, as well as our teachers and future teachers. The President' speech was letting everyone know the importances of education.
Dewina McElroy

Anonymous said...

I feel President Obama did an excellent job on his speech to our youth. For the first time probably ever, our President is famailiar with the issues and situations that are going on in the minds and worlds of our young people. Being able to relate and really understand the youth and where they're coming from, he has provided a positive image to our youth that says, you can be successful and be anything you want to be no matter who you are and where you come from. Great Speech. Bessie Miles 262

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this speech. President Obama's speech was very touching and inspiring, not only was this speech inspiring to me but it was motivation to our children. Obama wants the best for our children I hope his speech motivates the youth that has goals for their live even those who don't I hope this inspires them. He has to start at the bottom just like everyone else, its not impossible to accomplish dreams. Its not impossible to become someone that millions look up too. He wants the youth to get educated.Education is the key to life and that's all he's tring to express to the children.I'm only twenty two years old and I want to educate myself as much as I can. That speech really motivated me. Kenya Atwater

Anonymous said...

gina colbert child dev. 262
Go Obama! he is encouraging our children to never give up no matter how hard it may seem. he tells of his experiences that most of our people can relate to. he wants him to see that if heb made it than they too can. I love Obama and his fight to help cure the world.

Anonymous said...

Christina Glover. When he gave this speech to America, many districts did not play this video. They thought that he was going to talk about politics. I was very upset that they did this to him. Why will he talk about something that kids don't understand. His speech was about taking responsibilty of your own education. Everybody go through something in life. It is up to the students to build resilience to fight. I tis also up to the parents to provide buffers for that student to become succesful.

Anonymous said...

Christina Glover. I agree with the statement That people don't show our president the respect he deserve. He has a degree from Harvard Law School. Bush was dumb but they respect him. I should't matter what color you are or how you fell about him he is still the President of the United States of America

Agapelove said...

I tried not to cry, but my soft, sensitive self broke into tears. President Obama said something every man, woman, and child (that understands) should here,"where you are now, doesn't have to be where you end up". I couldn't have said it any better than that. I now have more of a deep respect for my professors and what they stand for, what they have accomplished, and what they expect of us. Children who are human sponges and clay; soak up every thing and can be molded into what ever we want. We should soak them up with love, compassion,
patience,
understanding,encouragement, discipline, guidance, and spirituality. We as parents, future teachers, and caregivers should mold them to be future Kennedy's, Clinton's and Obama's; and their wives should represent them as the future Jackie, Hilary,and Michelle. This speech is awesome and before the kids go to bed this will be there nighttime story. I want them to go to bed on a positive note and with a positive message; "Be encouraged, no matter whats going on, keep trying and never give up.

C. Crockett CD101

trina said...

i love obama speech i think a lot of children will be happy and alot of teachers will think or should i say rethink their teaching skills i didnt know that every dollar we spend 10 dollars gom towards the childrens education. trina 262

Unknown said...

President Obama is an amazing President. Very influential, I think its encouraging for our children to see our President speak positively about school and relate it to his own trials and tribultaions when he was in school. I believe its important to make himself personable to us and espcially to our children because its hard for people to view the President as an individual. Its very important to provide a foundation for our children and I agree one hundred percent with the president that its all about the children's ability to proceed and WANT to do whats neccesary to succeed. I think its great that he is talking to our children as individuals and giving them positive reinforcement as a means to further their education and suceed!

Anonymous said...

Ebony Hogan CHLD-DV 101:I really enjoyed the speech,I can truly say Obama has excellent choice of words when describing what he feels us young people can do and he feels we should never give up on our dreams because we can do anything if we put our minds to it but education is a must in everything u want out of life with that being said the speech moved to strive for the best in my life as well as my son's life.

Anonymous said...

President Obama's Speech to me was a very powerful and up lifting speech he insured the world that he will do almost everything possible to make sure that we as a whole are on the same page and that is something that we have been waiting on our entire LIFE!!!!! WE EXPECT GREAT THINGS

Anonymous said...

yes this is a good speech. This is the first time I've seen this many college student enrolled in school. let's just people are trying to make a change!!
Shanequa Milton CD 101

Anonymous said...

I remember when I first started hearing about the President's intentions to give a speech to the nation's children. There was so much opposition and some people even went to the extent of talking about keeping their kids home from school that day. I didn't understand their negativity before reading his speech and after reading the speech I wonder if any of them took the time to admit they were just plain wrong. His speech was wonderful. He provided children with much needed encouragement. Letting them know that the challenges they face in life are no reason to give up. I think they hear this message from others but coming from the the first African American President made it really mean something. Tameka Williams

agapelove481 said...

Although I have already commented, after yesterday's 2/20/10 event, I was just empelled to write and tell you guys my revelation; thanks to are forefathers, our wonderful parents or whome ever raised us with some form of sense. My son had an interview yesterday for a paticular high school, and while preparing for the interview my son asked, "why do I hve to wear a suit mom, and I miss daddy, why doesn't he help us with this stuff". I could tell he was a bit tired of going over the interview questions I made up for him, and was also dicouraged in some way because this was a big moment and dad was not apart of it. Thats when I pulled out President Obama's speech. 1st I prayed, I needed holy spirit to guide me to say the right appropriate things to say without blasting the kids dad. 2nd I began to explain to my son that knowledge is power! Whatever it is you want to be in life, you need an education to do it. Unfortunately mommy is not an entertainer or a WNBA player, so for people like us thats not in the entertainment business, we need education/knowledge; and even for those with all the fame, when that runs out and they get old they need education under their belt to fall back on. After explaining that, I began to read what Obama said about missing his dad,how his dad wasn't present in his life, BUT IT STILL DID NOT STOP HIM; EVEN WITH MISTKES THAT HAD BEEN MADE!, and the infamous line in the speech that KEPT AND HELD me ever since I read it. "WHERE YOU ARE NOW, DOESN'T HAVE TO BE WHERE YOU END UP. YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF YOUR OWN DESTINY". My son's big eyes cleared up, no longer watery, and the next day for the high school interview, he was so confident and so sharp and so filled with our Father's holy spirit,.... He passed the high school interview with flying colors! The highest score was a 25 and he got a 25. Encoragement, Motivation, and Perseverance is what all children need to get through this hell on earth they hve to experince.
CRYSTAL CROCKETT CD-109

Anonymous said...

Zenobia Barker: I think the speech was very insightful and extremly ecouranging to us and our children to work hard and strive for excellents.

lashn walker said...

this is an awesme speech everyone should read i read ittomy children i feel the same way education is so important and the parents start it at home wihtheir childrenwe need more parents emphasizing education in their childre fromthe start

Unknown said...

I also agree with C. Barnes i really never sat and listened to a presidents speeches all the way. Its something about President Obama!

Anonymous said...

I think the speech the president gave to the children was awesome. A lot of our parents dont encourage our children but the streets do that why we have alot of gangs now in the state now. To have the president encourage our children is huge because he let our children know that even though he is busy he still care about the education of our children and that is very major it give the children the hope to succeed n life.


Kristina widemon

Anonymous said...

Rondrell...to me i feel that all Obama's speeches are touching in so many ways. He clearly shows that all is possible and he gives alot of food for thought