Please watch and comment.
http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Blog for students in the Child Development Program to learn from and with each other!
34 comments:
Sherrie Saez
I love this class, I will study hard to get an "A" but most of all I know I will learn a lot about children, life, and how they all relate.
2-3-10
Excellent! There are, AT LEAST, two sides to every story. Knowing only a 'Single Story' can inhibit you from experiencing all the world has to offer. This clip has motivated me to look at things a little differently. Just think how very important books are but they mean nothing if you can't read.
SARAH PERRY CD101.
I think our upbringing has a lot to do with our single story. We are taught a certain way about certain things, people even the way of life. For many years i heard " don't do this or that will happen". That's why now, when people tell me about things they experience i do not judge. My response is always "OOH O.K". Because you never know what other people are going through or what they was taught as a child.
Kareem Parks
Chimamanda's story was very powerful but true, some times we as people are very ignorant to other cultures. I think it's very true that people go off what they see on tv or the media or in books not thinking that some information may not be true or some times has a bite of truth in them but leave out key points. After listening to her story it just shows that knowledge is power (Ms.Connor). And dont believe every thing you read, or hear research it.....
I think we all in some way have fallen victim to having the single story "mindset". If we are not exposed to more than just our enviorment we become ignorant to the things we have no knowledge or understanding of. I think we should all use a an open mind when faced with a new experience. Question the "why" before you pass judgement is the best advice I could give.
~Germaine Sims~
I think that the single story is something that everyone should watch because it can help you to understand to think out side the box and to always look beyond the cover of the book. Anquinetta
Ashley Perryman
Her story was amazing. We are all guilty of using a "single story" to associate a person with and at times we find ourselves criticising those that are bold or in our minds prejudice. We never stop and think about the negative energy we are apply to the world. Ignorance is the problem and Knowledge is the solution. Self awareness can solve this problem for most but there will still be people that wont let go of their single stories.
Ashley Perryman
Her story was amazing. We are all guilty of using a "single story" to associate a person with and at times we find ourselves criticising those that are bold or in our minds prejudice. We never stop and think about the negative energy we are apply to the world. Ignorance is the problem and Knowledge is the solution. Self awareness can solve this problem for most but there will still be people that wont let go of their single stories.
R Moore 109
I feel that exposure is very important. Many of our children grow up with just a single outlook on life. My experience as a teenager gave me hope and dreams, because I was able to go out of the country and see that I am Blessed living in the U.S. Yet poorer countries appreciate the simple things that we take for granted.
Stephanie Canada CD-101
A "Single Story" by Chimamanda in my mind states issues/facts that many others doesn't notice or address. I've been told many of times throughout the previous school years that a lot of information in books are not facts or its much more to that story that's only bits and pieces of it. Also, people from different cultures look at things from different perspectives than others do.I believe the media does play a big role in situations like this but, there's always two sides to every story.
This story is just the absolute truth on how some people just wanna stay dumb you should not just believe what you hear or see do research and your become knowledgeable in your stories of life, I think everyday you learn something new.
Shanequa Milton CD101
This talk gives an excellent explanation as to why people should not be stereo typed or have one track minds. just knowing that reading and exploring can bring a different outlook on many situations in the U.S., as well as giving a better undersatnding. people that listen to this talk should have a better out look of the world itself . < Fatimah Kabir>
OMG!!! PROFESSOR! you amaze me everytime. I must admit...I doubted you in 101 even after everythng you learned, taught, and preached. Why? Because you weren't a parent. I hve now realized, you dont hve to be. You are a parent. You are a great parent. I too was a foolish victim of of having a "single story" mindset. I have always been told that it takes a parent to understand a parent. Not at all true. You understand, you can relate in a sense and your an awesome teacher with great patience and knowledge; who should dare misjudge you? My sincere apologies. This story was so heartfelt and so incerdibly true that I thought about someone in particular at 1st!(my kids pricipal)(smile) but by the end of the presentation, I was thinking about ME. Change doesn't start with everyone else 1st, it starts with SELF 1st. Thank you for giving me MORE than my monies worth, and most importantly thank you for being you. I will now try my hardest to be the best I can in and out of school, become more of a critical thinker, and always srive to work harder in being diverse.
CRYSTAL CROCKETT CD-109
i have often sat back and asked mysely what it would be like if i couldnt read snd i personally wouldnt know know what to do.I chose child education because i have always wanted to have a hand in something positive in a childs life even my own.
Shavaughn White child dev 109 mon & wed 11:10-12:30
Its amazing how certain things put ALL things into perspective! Exposure and Experience shape who we are, who we will be, and how we view others! We all need to judge a little less and implement better tactics at figuring out people. Knowing a "single story" or Single side of anything spells catastrophe!!!
Victoria Garcia
i like the idea that the stories should be culturally correct. The idea that children should know their isnt always a happy ending. To show people that their is people like you and people who have gone through what you gone through.
Pilar Reed
The woman Chimananda's story was vey touching to me. A person never knows what another person is thinking or feeling. And in her story she basically gave her opinion on how she felt about life and people stereotype all the different cultures.People shouldn't has beleive what they have read. I think that everyody should get a chance to watch the Single Story its a very nice story and it possibly make people look at life in general in a new perspective.
Thetis Hill CD 101
I believe that she shared some very important and true points about how people view others. some parents veiw people from want they may see or hear about others. Then will enstill their thoughts into the children mind.Teaching them that this is right. many people have been taught to judge others.many don't allow others individaul to share their own story.Many culture's shouldn't judge other from what the here on t.v or from what other may say. we should allow people to tell their own stories. because the consequence are the times we are living today; from judging someone we have no true knowledge about.
Yes I agree with everyones post, this was a very educational scit to open your mind to what's around you. This speaker could not have explained it better than what she did. We as a whole society have been exposed to a single story since we been born basically. Not only do we get exposed to it through media but we also receive alittle from school and everything thing else around us. Watching this movie should enlightened those who have never been outside the box to never judge somewhere you haven't been because, alot of us come from different backgrounds and cultures. Siobhan
Oralia Cabrales (CD 101)
Her story was great! I'm pretty sure everyone has or will have a "Single Story" experience throughout their life. We should not believe everything we read in books, what we see in the media or hear from other people, and we should not be judgmental if we really don't know. We need to go out there and experience and gain knowledge of the different cultures that exist.
rosenice evans
i liked this single story because i feel that everyone does have a single story and too many people are judgemental about the next person its so quick to sterotype other races instead of taking the time out to get to know someone and learn about their culture.
I think that single stories are every where. People everywhere across the world have one, but these stories arent really single. Everyone goes through alot of the same things that one my think that their only ones going through it. In order to fix this is to not judge and assume ask and learn from others that are different from our "norm"
It is good to know about everything around you and more.knowing the single story can help you with just a small porition of a situation. but knowing both parts of the story can take you a long way. Chimamanda's story was amazing. Anquinetta Butler
It is good to know about everything around you and more.knowing the single story can help you with just a small porition of a situation. but knowing both parts of the story can take you a long way. Chimamanda's story was amazing. Anquinetta Butler
Cynthia Warren
CD101
A single story, was a great eye opener for me, I learned, how people are quickly stereo typed in life. And I realize how I do it unknowing without trying to do it. A single story was a great video, and I would recommend that people watch it, and they will also quickly learn how easy it is to stereotype.
Cynthia Warren CD101
A single story, was a great eye opener for me, I learned, how people are quickly stereo typed in life. And I realize how I do it unknowing without trying to do it. A single story was a great video, and I would recommend that people watch it, and they will also quickly learn how easy it is to stereotype.
I loved the single story it was very insightful to hear someone else story it was truly motivating and very inspiring to me and it helped me to look and somethings a little differently. Everyone has had thier problems growing up and its no different no matter where u live. ZENOBIA BARKER
Rosemarie Quintana CD 109
When looking at this video clip short story I really learned alot of different things and I also look at the world differntly now then before because there are two sides to a story that one may not realize. people shoudnt judge one like the saying dont judge the book by its cover . which is true you also should watch what you say because it can effect that person.
I loved this. It made me think about a lot of things, myself. Sometimes we judge people and we don't even realize it. It showed me myself in ways and also it made me realize what I've seen other people do.
seeing this video makes a person sit back and think before he or she judges something. most African American males are judge as "gang banger" if they live in a specific area, because of what the another person has done. all men or woman deaths are not just because of that. that is a true single story all over that we see and hear in today's world. this encourage me to not judge before i do my research.
Maddonna Wilson
I believe that everybody has two different sides to them and that many people believe what they want to believe or what they think is true rather then finding out the whole truth or information. Also believe that people do pass judgment on a particular person or group of people just because of one person and or group they believe that all of that group is thhe same way or been through the same things even if it is not the case
it is not godd to critisize you do not know what other people are going through that is one of the reasons i decided to become a teacher becaue i wasnt able to help my kids with heir school work and they judged me for being an unfit parent so i did it to be able to help my children and also teach children when their parents cant
CBarnes CD109
I loved this. It made me think about a lot of things, myself. Sometimes we judge people and we don't even realize it. This helped me realize i should think outside the box more.
Rondrell...this was a great story and it helps to direct your life in the right way if u got a real understandment of it
Post a Comment