Monday, October 10, 2011

Single Story'
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

17 comments:

JoAnn said...

JoAnn Johnson Child DV 109:j She gracefully talk about " A Single Story" I did not see myself as being a single minded person, but after looking at this video. I have seem myself. I have been in-lighten to seeing some things in a difference way. We as people in general stereo-type each other. Yes! this world as become a political fear of each other. She made a statement that had such an inpact on me, which says; Not only do a negative story tells one story, it tell the only story. Powerful words.

JoAnn said...

I really enjoy this video: It has given me much insight about viewing life in a difference way. A political fear is what she said, I agree. Not only do telling a negative story, tells one story, it tells the only story. Prowerful words. I have truly been in-lighten.

Anonymous said...

from allyanhinojosa
i think she is a great speaker and some people think how did you learn all of this language speaking english.

Anonymous said...

Americia Huckabee

One thing I realize is that we are all teachers whether we know it or not, whether we teach what is right or what is wrong. Our hope and prayer is that we all will realize that in today society we need teachers, teachers who cares, teachers who willing to stand for what is right in the classrooms and even out of them. Does it matter what a teacher makes, or does it matter that our teachers will make the best out of our children as much as possible to produce the best possible individual they can be.

Americia Huckabee said...

Wow! I'm amazed at the power behind this wonderful piece called "The Danger of A Single Story". This piece gives life to power of perception, how we are perceived by those who may have had a glimpse of who we are, yet not really knowing the whole story. It amazes me that power of perception can make or break an individual based on how one is perceived. However, not willing to find the truth to who we are, what we possess, or the knowledge we carry. This holds true, as well for our infants, toddlers, on up to young adults. Even before they have a chance in society, they are already percieved through perception, who and what they will become. The question is, do they stand a chance?

Anonymous said...

Lenora Threets

My comment to the viedo is that she talked about how people looked at her and protrayed her as a poor Africian with less then thoes who were born and raised in the United States. She expressed her feelings about how people only saw African people as being pitty, poor and had no real education. She also let people know that due to the misunderstandings about the African culture people don't look at the acheivements of African people they just come to the conclusions of what they hear and not what they know never judge a book by it's cover

Anonymous said...

Maricarmen Gonzalez- Child Development 109- Fall 2011

Let me start off by saying WOW! Chimamanda Adichie is a great story teller and a great example of stopping these stereotypes in this world. She did an outstanding job speaking about her experiences, the good and the bad and to not just focus on the bad, as the media likes to hype up these bad images of places and a community of people. I agree with what she is saying 100%. The way the media and history has made out who people are is showing the danger of a single story. If we start believing all these negative single stories that we read about or see about on t.v., these stereotypes will never stop and will only get worse.

I too went to Guadalajara last year in November. My closest friends and family were saying it was really dangerous out there and I shouldn't go. I was worried when I arrived but I was shocked to not see any violence at all and everyone over there interacted more in there community peacefully than in my own back in Chicago. A single experience, either reading, hearing, or seeing about it can not be everyone's same intake, a single story can make or brake a person.

One stereotype that I strongly disagree with is that people who are born with a disability weather it is physically or mentally, can not live a "normal" life and are very limited to many things in life. My mother and father both had these thought in the back of their mind when my brother was born. My parents were discouraged from the moment my brother was born. My mom was hearing the single story that labeled my brother retarded. I was a teenager at the time and I couldn’t believe those things, I just wouldn’t, I never gave into the single story of my brother and I never will.

I am going to show my family and friends this video because it really moved me. I couldn't help feeling a certain hope inside of me that I could become a better person and those around me as well.

Anonymous said...

Rondrell...i enjoyed this video because its a real eye opener to me in many ways. That statement of "Not only do a negative story tells one story, it tells the only story" made me think alot about what that truely means

Anonymous said...

Latasha Coleman

I stereo type people everyday. I dont intentionally do it. I am embarrassed that I do it. I'm going to try my best to stop.

Anonymous said...

Melodye said...
Melodye Wright Child DV 109: basically from what I got from the video is that we have a tendacy of sterotyping one another every day. Without even really knowing the real true history of another cultural or background of the other person until we take the time to find out.

Anonymous said...

melodye said...
melodye wright child dev 109: basically from what i got from the video is that we have a tendacy of sterotyping one another every day. without even really knowing the real true history of another cultural or background of the other person until we take the time to find out.

Anonymous said...

Pilar Reed

This story made me think about and also look at life in a different way. Stereo- typing has been goin on for many years and i doubt that it will ever stop. But you can't let that bring you down you have to keep goin on with life. This story was very interesting and it showed me how really offense people get when stereo typed.

Anonymous said...

Vivian Tyms CD 109
This video was a real eye opener to me. I did not know that I fit into that cateroy. I must admit that I sterotype people everyday. After this video I have promised myself to change. The most poerful thing that I got out of this video is that " Not only do a negative story tell one story, it tells the only story" Those words were really powerful.

Anonymous said...

The video," The Danger of A Single Story was very interesting. Chimamanda is a great speaker, she spoke the truth about sterotypes in the word.We have a tendacy of sterotyping one another every day, without knowing the history and background of the other person.This piece gives life to perception, how we are perceived by those who may have had a glimpse of who we are as individuals.


Ashley Whiters

Anonymous said...

I think every single story leads to stereotype , perspectives lead to understanding. Individuals need to learn how not to judge a book by its cover and learn about other cultures.

Charlenena Hollingsworth 109

Anonymous said...

Henning... We are all guilty of this rather we admit it or not... think about it.

Anonymous said...

Henning... Know good can ever come out of a negative story, it can only do harm.