Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Parents that have a child with a disability

Read an article from this website and discuss it in the comments...

I think its a great resource for parents that have a child with a disability.


See you soon!!!

146 comments:

Anonymous said...

I choose to read The article titled Profound disabbility thoughts on loving a helpless child. In this article i agree that many people are afraid to love for a child that is not healthy. Children with disabilities need that love and much more to understand that they are cared for. It is hard to find anyone that is really ready for a child that is not of a typical developing life. I have so much respect for anyone that can give undconditional love to a helpless child just for the sake of a child trying to be in a family setting.
Janet Benavides-c.d. 262

nicoleb said...

i read the article about acceptance. the article was about a mom who had a child with a disability. The begin of the article the mom was in depression. Thinking of her expecting of her childs life. As time when on the mom begin to accept her childs disability and her sadness turned into happiness. Which her son taught her.
nicole benjamin

Anonymous said...

3/18/09 5:23p.m.Monitor Your Child in the hospital was a very good article. It was an article that should make us think again when we go to the hospital to visit children or family members. Hospitals are usally very germy, but, we think of them as clean and safe. The article talked about how we should be prepared in case of emergency. Also, we must watch the staff when it comes to the safety of our children or love ones. We must make sure that they are labeling tubes,speceimens, test anything pertaining to them. We must also bring sanitizer and personnal items for ourselves if we stay the nignt. Sometimes working in a hospital we don't take the safety precautions we have been taught. This could be do to work overload. The article also stated that sometimes when you call for help the nurses don't respond. Because they think they know the patience so well. We must be prepared for every kind of emergency in life. Sometimes what think is emergency may not be an emergency. But, we should respect everyone concern.
Dowana Weaver

Anonymous said...

brown,bobbi 262/205
I choose the article,DOES YOUR CHILD HAVE A HIDDEN DISABILITIY because we as parent don't relize when our child/children are acting out of the oridinary. It's really a problem because we're thinking it's normal but it's not. It's pays to pay attention to our children because what we think is normal may not be...

Anonymous said...

I choosed the article "Profound disability", throughts on loving a helpless child. As I was reading the article I though about people that give up their baby for adoption because they don't want to deal with a child that have an disability. If God decides that I well not have any children, I would like to adopt a child, it does not matter what wrong with the baby if they have a disability or not. I would always give the child the love and the nuture that they will need as growing up in my home.
M Ochoa CD.262

Anonymous said...

I read the article about sugar. I am currently trying to wean myself off of it. The article states that sugar is not a major factor influencing behavior of children which I disagree with. My son starts acting like wild(er) animal when he gets sugar.

Kelli Davis

Anonymous said...

I read the article on commucation with autsim. Anything dealing with autsim im intersted in reading because my son have's it and i always hope that they come up with new information about where it really comes from. The article was really just talking about at the age of 3 thats when the brain is going through a process where they should be learning how to talk. it's state differnt ways you can go about getting help for your child so that they can begin to talk.
Tiffany Williams 262

Anonymous said...

I choose to read the article Parenting Siblings with Disabilities in this article I agree that parents should talk to their children about their siblings with disabilities because they might not understand why their siblings is acting the way they do, why they get more attention and why their siblings might not live in the same house. I believe it is important to talk to the siblings because it might help them understand why other children might talk or make fun of their siblings. I believe most children do defend their siblings when their parents aren't around weather they have a disability or not.
Joyce Johnson - CD 205

Anonymous said...

I read the article getting your kids to cooperate. I agree with parts of this article for instance, yelling at your child only gets both you and the child frustrated and upset and rarely does this ever create a change for the better. Using humor does create a less intense environment for both the parent and the child and can cause for the child to e more willing to do what you want them to do. However, I disagree that a parent should have to somewhat bribe your child into doing what they are suppose to do. When you tell a child that to do the dishes and then they can go outside and play later, that can send the message that they must receive a reward for simply doing what they are suppose to do. Since parents are suppose to be prepping their children for the real world than this probably wouldn’t be a good idea because as adults we don’t get a pat on the back for taking care of our business we just no that it’s something we MUST do.

Dominique Bright CHD 120

Anonymous said...

Dalila Chavers
I read the article about parents that have a child with a disability. I strongly believe that some children with a disablity do not get the same attention and respect as a normal child. Some parents feel guilty because they may blame themselves and think they did something wrong for their child to come out with a disability. It is sad to have a diability child when you first hear the news or knowing that your child cant do th things a regular child can do. But on the other hand that child is still a gift from God and every child deserves to be treated the right way as a child whether with a disability or not.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE ARTICLE(ACCEPTANCE) BECAUSE IT SHEDS A LITTLE LIGHT HOW DISABLE CHILDREN. MOST PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO UNDERSTAND THE THINGS A DISABLE CHILD GOES THROUGH UNLESS THEY ARE LIVING IT. IN THIS SOCIETY WE MAKE BEING DISABLE SEEM LIKE IT A BAD THING, OR UGLY.WHEN WE ARE PREGNANT MOST PEOPLE ARE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT SEX THE CHILD WILL BE, INTILL THE BABY IS BORN. THEN WE STARTED TO THINK ABOUT WHAT OTHERS MAY SAY ABOUT OUR CHILD IF THEIR DISABLE BECAUSE WE FEEL LIKE SOME MAY THINK IT'S OUR FAULT.
S.PERTEET

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading the article about acceptance. I know it was tough for her to cope with her son's disabilities at first. However,I am glad she was able to pull through her devastation and become the loving mother that her son needs. She is truly a strong person. Tynesha Broome - CD.101

Anonymous said...

Helen said, i read the article that talks about how siblings deal with there disabled brothers or sisters. it is a very hard thing to deal with because the brother or sister may not be able to talk or may be deaf it is adifficult situation because they are unable to play with their siblings and sometimes they wish they did not have one so it is left for the parents toexplain the situation to their children and eventually they would come around to understand the reason for the disabilities.

Anonymous said...

I read about coaching conversation skills. this article is very good. It gives you better insite on how to get your child to communicate in full coversations. It also helps you understand better ways of communicating with your child which, is very important.This should also help with vocabulary and other social problems as well.

Eyv said...

I think having a child with a disability is very hard to accept. Me personally will love my child because it is not that child promblem that he or she was born with a disability. I couldn't imagw how it feel to have a child with a disability but i know it must be hard for the parent. They need alot of attention an d plenty of love and patience.

Anonymous said...

natalie S. CD 109

The article on Speech & Language was very informing and was alot of what we had covered in class. It is very important to make sure that that a child is well taken care of and to prevent any type of repeated ear infections. One of my friends when she was a few months old had repeated ear infections and cannot speak to good or hear to good. This article also gives you an idea where a child should be at language wise. I think that if i were a parent looking for good information on ways to promote good speech and language for my child this article is good.

Anonymous said...

I choose the article acceptance because I feel that a mother should accept their child even if they have a disability. The mother was going through depression because her son had a disability.She felt in her mind that her child wasn't the same as other children. I'm glad she grew to understand that her son was unique in many ways and she grew to love him even more.
Nakitta Wrightsell 205

K Gavin said...

I agree with Mark. L. Batshaw about not making your child the entire focus of your household because they have a disability. Even though the child have a disability doesn't mean that he/she doesn't have feelings. At some point the child may feel crowded and uncomfortable because of all the attention he/she is getting. I understand that children with disabilities need more time than other children, but that doesn't mean you have to crowd their space. I also think that it is very considerate of Mark to help parents that are less fortunate based off his experience with his own child.

C. Phillips said...

I read the article about could your child have a hidden disablity, this article resignated with me because i see my self questioning my son, not his behavior but his accomplishments compared to other kids is age, why some kids do certains things before others, and blame myself for not being a better teacher, in making him catch on to certain task, like dressing himself or tying his lacens, but this has has showed me kids develop at different pace and not to be so hard on a child, who i snow learning about this big world and how to be his own individual.

Anonymous said...

I think parents that have children with disability has to have alot patient. They have to pay a lot of attention to disabled kids. But they are regular and normal human beings.Its very costly for the equipment and therapy but you have to take the time to make sure its done and they get the same attention that any other human gets. Latoya Richard

Robin M. said...

I read the article, "When your child has Disabilities." I thought this article was very informative. I have a neice that has a son with disabilities. He's two years of age and she's just taking him to doctors, because she was in denial. I think that parents with children who have disabilities should be the first advocate to become informed and than try to help that child and its siblings to cope with the disability. Doctor Batshaw is a man that should be honored, because we can see how parents are being educated in this area. Early education can help longterm outcomes.

Anonymous said...

I like the article about toddler discipline. From personal experience, mostly evey strategy works for disciplining your toddler. The time outs work very well if your consistent with them and also letting your child help you clean up is a really great way too. When a child helps clean up its a good way for them to excercise and use their motor skills. When you sit down and eat with your children that also helps because you all can sit and talk about how their day been going it also helps keep the child out of trouble. Another way to discipline your child is to play along with them. when they do something instead of raising your hand and voice at them just grab one of their favorite toys or books and play or read with them.

Anonymous said...

I believe that every child should have a set bedtime. No child should be able to go to sleep when they want too. I say this because usually when a child stays up late their either on the computer, playing a game, or watching tv and this may cause a child to be having too much screen time. Some children have a hard time sleeping. If that's the case with the child then the parent or guardian should do what they can to make that child feel comfortable. If it means getting the child a teddy bear and letting them cuddle with it throughout the night then that's what they should do. Other cases of not being able to sleep through the night may be hard to adjust to. If it's something like a nightmare then i don't think there's anything a parent or guardian can do about that because that's something natural.

Anonymous said...

I like the article acceptance. Even though at the beginning Carolyn felt that her son was behind other children his age, she learned to accept that her son was special in his own way. Every child doesn't learn at the same pace as ohters and i believe that they shouldn't be pushed to do so. As the days went by Carolyn son amazed her more and more. Everytime he accomplished something she rewarded him and i believe that gave her confidence in him and him confidence in himself. She said that all her son had to do was smile and she was all his. That's a great feeling when all your child have to do is smile to win their parents heart.

Anonymous said...

I like the article about low self-esteem. Nobody should be a victim of low self-esteem. Nobody should try to lower anybody esteem because building that self-esteem back up can be stressful and depressing. As far as children having low self-esteem SHOUDLN'T NO CHILD KNOW HOW THAT FEEL! Children should enjoy their childhood. No child should feel down about themselves or feel like they can't do anything right. Everybody makes mistakes and children make more than adults because they are still learinig about this world. If any child gives a signal that they have low self-esteem the parent, guardian, or even peers that have high self-esteem should help the child heightened theres before it gets too low.

Anonymous said...

In response to Nicoleb comment I total agree that when a parent has a child born with a disability it is hard for them to accept it. Every expecting parent(s) want to have a healthy child but life is not always what we want it to be sometimes we have to take the good with the bad and have to learn how to accept it. I am not saying that all parents react in this way but the majority that I have seen have had negative accetance. I do not believe that when the parents are negative they do not understand that even a baby can sense when he or she is not loved. My last child was born healthy but when he turned three he was diagnosed with asthma I felt so terrible because his attacks were so severe but I dealt with it and we got through. Then about five years ago he lost his hearing in his right ear and once again I felt terrible for him but with love and guidance we got through it and learned to deal with the disablilities grant it he was born with this but like I said you never know what life holds for so cherish your children if they are healthy or disabled .

Janet Benavides 262

Anonymous said...

a thought on children with autism. I realize know that more and more children are being diagnosed with autism but are they being diagnosed correctly. Since autism is a concerned topic my only concern on this is that are children being properly diagnosed or just passed off as an autistic child because no other explanation could be sought. In my final thougths if one of my children were diagnosed with autism I would certainly get at least three opinions. The only reason that I am concerned with the diagnosing part is that my middle son was diagnosed with ADHD by one physician but when I took him for a second opinion they said he didnt show signs of ADHD then I took him for a third evaluatin and once again no ADHD so as a concern make sure there is more then just one opinion. Janet Benavides 262

Anonymous said...

Reading this article "Does your child have a hidden disability" got me to thinking because I am always asking my children What is wrong with you? or Did you think before you did that? Somethimes when there is a problem with our children we don't want to admit it because someone may think it's our fault that our children are like that. As we discuss in class, we think our children should live up to our expectations, and when they don't we feel let down. yes I wanted my children to be the next Percy L. julian(scientist). I myself wanted to be a genius and discovery something, but I guess we all have different unique abilities.

S.Perteet

Anonymous said...

I don't have any children but loving someone who needs it especially a child whose disable is something we as teachers and parents should do with grace. We have the opportunity to offer that child with disablilties our gift of unconditional love. Love does not matter what you look like or your abilities but it's a great attribute to have and display to all children.Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Ecxepting a child with disablities can't be easy but situations happen in our life for a reason, wwe need to stop questioning why but taking on the gift that has come our way the opportunity to love a precious child. Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Disabilities can go unseen in the eyes of a parent because parents have high expectations for there children. But we as educators have the obligation to be patient with the parents and assist them in anyway possible so that their child can get assistance. Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Parenting siblings with disabilites can be a challenge because children are self involved but with the proper information love and exceptance probably will make a sibling more caring and understanding to those who are different but I can't imagine doing this task and my hat goes off to those parents with that challenge. This information is great for other families with these situation and it's a great forum for them to get information. Claudia Smith

Anonymous said...

Sequcia Wince Cd120

I read this article and I think it provides helpful information for children who has siblings with a disability. It will teach them how treat a child with disability.

Cynthia said...

This article that i read was pretty good. It focus in child disabbility and all the things that the parents have to do. They have to be good care and also they need all the love they could get. Is hard to have a child with disabbility but you have to take good care of your child.This information is great for other parents because they will out what their child need.

Anonymous said...

P.Lofton
I read the article about Acceptance i found this to be a very good article because if i had a child that was delayed i always said that i would give it up for adoption, because i know that i wouldn't be able to see my own child like that, but this article showed me that even though she wanted her son to be like the other kids her son made her happy in his own ways. In the beggining she was kind of sad to have a child that was going to be delayed but she finally realized that what she had was something good.

Anonymous said...

crystal dent parents often fear of having a child with a disability, yes its hard it not going to be easy but their blessing, with alot of love they can bring so much joy to your heart, believe in that child and things will be ok.

Anonymous said...

I think that this is a great subject for me because this has been my field for over twelve years and I feel so compassionate for the ones with the disability.
All children need to be treated equally and without biases and prejudices. I feel that if you give children the attention and time needed, they will be able to meet their goals that have been set. I also want to mention that realistic goals must be set for the special needs but all in all they are able to learn and be taught. Remember, disability and special children are human too!

Anonymous said...

Lakiya:
Ms. COnnors, I just sent you this comment and forgot to put my name on it. Please make a note of it and give me credit for that.

Anonymous said...

I read the article on Sibling with disability, and its right non-disablity children to have a hard time with the fact that their sibling is different. they feel that as though are the only child if child is away from home, or they like an outsider because parent have to focus on child with disability.
Camille West
Child Development 101 Ac
MW 9:00-10:50

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

I am always on line looking at new things, and I found this website. http://www.ncld.org/. I am not sure if it had been listed already. I think it is a good site for children with disabilities. you all should look it over.

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

http://www.ncld.org/ I don't know if someone posted this link already. I've been online looking at anything that has to do with child dev. I cam across this site.

L. Grayson CD262 CD109 said...

The latest a child should go to bed is 9pm. You have to have a structured and set schedule for children. Repetitive routines work best. The more they do it, the easier the transition becomes for them and you!!

t.harris 120 said...

i read this article and i do think some parents do be in denial about their child that have a disability because we dont want to face the fact that our child might have a problem and it only take a little help to fine out how to help our child get the special help they need we as parents have to be a proud parent no matter how hard it is to have a child with disability.

Anonymous said...

A Cawthon, i agree with anonymous as well. It is very difficult dealing with a child that is developing typically. when there is a child that has a disability parent are affair, parents feel in some kind of way they are the reason that child has whatever disability the child has so a parent will love the child or neglect the child. more parent i am happy to say love the child and care for the child the same as if there were no problems. however you still have those parents who feel embarrassed by the child and don't want to take responsibility of the child's needs. these parent i pray for and not prey on because you don't know how they feel you just know what they should do. i would give encouragement to any parent caring for a child who has a disability.

Anonymous said...

I have a little vrother who suffers from a comdition called Cerebral Palsy so i desided to read "Types Of And Causes Of Cerebral Palsy" the article helped me because I knew what is was but never thought about reading any information about it. It was very interesting and helpful. And now I know more then I did before I read it. He has to live with it for the rest of his life and Yes, it got worse from birth. LaShawn Ray

Anonymous said...

When Your Child Craves Attention

When a child needs attention, no matter what, they will do something to get it, rather it negative or positive. We as adults have to do something positive by giving them special time to let them do anything reasonable. Let them know you're paying attention by praising them. Let them know you are there for them. We all need attention to some degree.

Brown, Bobbie A.
Child Development 205,262

Anonymous said...

Stetegies To Bolster Self-Esteem

Children with low self-esteem are trapped in this cycle and parents often feel powerlessness because no matter what you do or say, our voice is drawn out bu an internal voice that screens out the good and emphasizes the bad part of self. So we as adults/parents have to coach our child/children tot a strong and stable self-esteem.


Brown, Bobbie A.
Child Development 205,262

Anonymous said...

Alita Brown C.D. 120
I read the article entitled "Autism:Assesment of Cognitive Function" by David A. Sherman. I think this article touched on a lot of important points. You shouldn't rely solely on standardized tests when assessing a differently abled child. It's not fair to the child, the family, or the teacher. Without special consideration to how to test the child in question you are setting them up to fail. The parents are often at a loss on exactly how to advocate for their child. Leaving them frustrated and often bitter. How can the educator help if they don't truly understand how to look at the child's learning style? This is the major problem with standardized tests and assessment. All children are individuals, they need to be assessed in that manner.

Anonymous said...

Lakiya says,
I feel that all children with disabilities need to be monitored and cared for in a ways that require more attention then that of a, "REGULAR/NORMAL CHILD". All children need our undivided attention and should be taken seriously no matter the case.
I personally take a liking to the those with special needs because I have been working with them for over twelve years and I find them to be easier to teach and work with overall. I want to say to those with special needs children, "don't give up on your child and they won't give up on you"!

Anonymous said...

I'm Shanta from Child Development 120 and I can most certainly relate to parents of a special needs child. Though what parents of special needs children have unique experiences there's one thing all parents of a child with a disability have in common. Much hard work, knowledge, creativity, compassion, patience, and love is needed to work with children with disabilities. I plan on going all the way with my education so that I can receive my Ph.D in Special Education so that I can be an advocate for all parents with children with a disability. Though children with Autism must be taught differently than their typically developing peers, they are very intelligent kids and a joy to be around. It takes a special person to raise a special needs child. I love my autistic son dearly and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

Anonymous said...

Tameka Williams- I read "Strategies to Bolster Self-Esteem." The article gave suggestions on how to speak with children who have a negative self image. The suggestions in the article were great (read it!). The article didnt comment on parents and their self-esteem issues. Its hard on a parent when there child has low self-esteem-especially a parent who is there for their child on a consistent basis. It takes a lot from the parent because the parent begins to question themselves and blame themselves for their child having self-esteem issues. I think the article should've gave suggestions for parents as well....

Anonymous said...

Tameka Williams- In response to Dominique- I agree with your comment. Im not bribing my son! When its time to do something-get it done! Its not an "if you do this then you can do that" type of game! I dont see how that will make my son into a responsible young man. As a child, I had set chores to do on a daily basis; I dont ask much from my son-not as much as my parents REQUIRED from me. So if I ask him to do something, or any child, as an adult-GET IT DONE! Parents also fall into the "later" trap. "Awe ma! Can I do it a little later? I will do it before I go to bed." Thats not good for the child either because normally what happens is both the parent and child forgets then it puts the parent back at step one. Moral: When asked to do something-do it!

Anonymous said...

Cleaster Steward

I read the article Profound Disability Thoughts on Loving a helpless child. I think everyone would be afraid to take a child with a disability. But you have to educate yourself and fight it head on.

Anonymous said...

Cleaster Steward

I read the article about toddler discipline. I agree with article toddlers do test you to see what they can get away with. I do believe in time out one minute for every year. If the toddler comes out of the corner before his or her time is up just take them back to the corner.

Anonymous said...

Cleaster Steward

I read the article about a mother acceptance. I don't think it was crazy for that mother to wish her son didn't have a delay. But it's also great she does have that love for her son.

Anonymous said...

I decided to read the article on attetion and wow!! I really love the idea of special time. I think its a great idea because kids need that attetion and they feel more loved. Sarah Garcia

Anonymous said...

I just read the article on acceptance. It was interesting to read on how this woman went from over thinking the situation to enjoying the fact that she had a child. It was really nice to see that she realized she has a unique child instead of being depressed. Sarah Garcia

Anonymous said...

I read the article on the child self esteem and it really hit home. My sister had really low self esteem and my parents didnt know what to do. As she got older she didnt really like who she was and commited sucide. I wish they would have did some of the things the article suggested like find where this negative source was coming from.

Anonymous said...

I read the article on sibling with disibilities and i thought it was a really good article. Kids who have siblings should know what is going on with their brother or sister. I also should give the child an understanding about disibilties in general, because their child could be more accepting to people with disibilites. Sarah Garcia

Anonymous said...

I read the article about attachment and the special needs child and i was really interesting. I really liked the things you can do like yoga to create a bond with a special needs child. I think that parents should not be afraid of a childs disibilities and embrace the gift they have. Sarah Garcia

Dewina McElroy said...

Dewina McElroy
The article I read was "does your child have a hidden disability?"
This article was really interesting and before this I was unaware of hidden disabilities. Now that I think of it I have actually heard many parents say that to there children constantly. I think that this information is crucial to any parent and that if parents do notice a problem like this it should be addressed so maybe it can be fixed.

Anonymous said...

A Cawthon, I'm commenting on Alita entry on standardized testing. i also feel standardized testing are unfairly used for children. for the simple fact you can not judge a child on one day of information. some kids are not good testers, but that doesn't take away from the things they know and have been taught all year long. i think standardized testing should not be the factor the determines whether or not a child is promoted to the next grade.

Anonymous said...

A Cawthon, i Ms. Weaver we do take things for granted when we visit the hospital. we have been taught hospitals are these clean and safe places where you go if you or someone you love are sick or hurt to try and get better. however as we have all learned these things may not always be true. we must be especially care for our love ones who cant speak for themselves. we must always ask question until we fully understand what is being told to us. if we cant understand talk to someone else maybe they can help you better understand what the first person couldn't.

Anonymous said...

A Cawthon, I'm responding to a comment about child self-esteem. i think low self esteem is very serious and dangerous issue for a your child to have especially in young girls. girls who have low self esteem have a tendency to let people walk all over them. it is never okay for a young girl to feel like she is nothing or she doesn't belong. low self esteem can lead to some many different area's of self destruction that i find horrific for any one to have to deal with. if i come across a girl whom i feel my have low self esteem i would find every positive thing about her and build on it. it is important to teach young girls about their bodies and let them know you are beautiful and you can be whatever you want to be and not to let anyone talk them into things they do not want to do. for them just to be in control of themselves and to love themselves before they love anyone.

Anonymous said...

Rowna Miles
I read the article about children with speaking and hearing disability. We have so many chidren with this kind of disability. This disability can be very difficult for our children, especially when it comes to getting an education. Some parents tends to ignore or don't want accept that their child have a disability. As teachers, we need to pay more attention to our children, and give parents resources that they can used to get help for their children.

lashann walker said...

i have a child with a disability. my daughter has pradar willi syndrome this is an obeist disease that means she will gain more weight than the average person on what she eats she have to be monitored on what she eats the refigerator and cabinets have to be locked at all times because she steaals food and gains weight she was 268 pounds and 4'11 now she is 195 she went to the childrens institue in pittsburg to lose weight she did very well because i have other kids it was hard watching what she ate all the time because the other kids ate pizza and other junk food and it was hard to tell her she could not have any now she lives with her father which is a big help.

Anonymous said...

My opinion with a child disability is alway treat him or her equal to everybody else. For example,I in the same situation I the sibling with disablity. When I started getting older in elemntary school that when I got sick with seizure:; when I visit them they I'm okay and that took my medication. In conclusion, there is any difference between present and no. Mikneiah Hillary - 262 &109

Anonymous said...

Teka said....
This article stood out more to me than the others,it was like someone had read my journal.I agreed with a few points in the article,and disagreed with some too.Such as being specific I am a strong believer in doing what a child is told,I tell my sons to take out the trash every night and yes there has been ALOT of times when I wake up and there is still trash in the cans.So now I am at the next level ,which is yelling I find myself screaming at the child for not doing that chore.Now that child has attitude at me like I did something wrong But no matter what I am mom so that attitude means nothing.And I disagree with choices,there are no choices for children in my home......

Anonymous said...

I choose to read Sleeping through the night by Dr.Jodi.A Mindeil I really enjoyed reading this article because it give you great tips about puting your child to bed all night. An example would be is to put your child on a schedule.and when your child napping you should nap to and if you can have someone help you at night with your child or infant,

Lakeysha F said...

I read the article about Speech, because I have a 3 year old son with a speech delay,and also he does not eat food. I found the article to be very informative in ways to help him with his speech, reading the same book over, and over is one that I have been doing with him. I also do a lot of picture books they are a huge help.

Anonymous said...

I have worked with children with a semi disability. Out of fourty childred it was three that had a learning disability. Theses three children was more push to the side, because the teacher did'nt have the time to give them. I came in as a teacher's aid. I took theses children under my wing, and i gave them what they needed. what i gave them was time and attention.
The parents of theses three childred was so inpress. They seen the change that took place in there children sence i started working for the preschool.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack,
I read the article on diagnosis by Jeff Stimpson. It was funny how the father knew what the doctor was going to say about his son. Also, i thought it was nice to see a father take his son to the doctor. Even though his son has a disability, Jeff still has a good sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Jewel McDowell CD109

I read, does your child have a hidden disability? It is a nerve wrecking situation to notice that your child has some kind of problem. (try not to lose patience) If a parent has more than one child, and one does things very differently from the others, it makes you wonder. For example, can't remember something that you just told him; can't tie his shoes; or, can't understand what you're telling him. When the child reacts slowly to everything he/she does, you may need to seek help; and accept that there may be a problem. The problem does not always have to be ADD or ADHD. There can be a hearing, vision, or speech disorder. The child can be slow to learn, or slightly retarded.

Anonymous said...

A day with Alex

Alex has to have his day; schedule wrote out for him to have a normal day. Without not completing something, it takes him much longer to do things that most people take for granted.
All children need your undivided attention, but, children with any form of a disability, needs even more of your time. It's hard.

Jewel McDowell CD262 CD109

Anonymous said...

Sleeping through the night


This article concerned children whom don't sleep well. It talked about how the room should be quiet. Nothing should be different. This way the child can be comfortable if the atmosphere is consistent.
Warm milk and a book read is a good way to relax the child.
Whatever you decide to do for the child at bedtime, it must be consistent.

Jewel McDowell CD262 CD109

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,Iread the article by Jeff Stimpson.I enjoyed reading the article about Alex,he is very funny little boy.Some people are afraid to love a child with a diability and they also to discipline them.

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,"A Christmas Blessing" having a disable child parents goes through struggles, but by being a Christian woman she knew God could do all things, but fell. As her baby grow she started developing slowly.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

I read the article on living in my skin. The author mention how little we understand parents with disablity child. I feel it so true. Unless you have a child with a disability, you could not understand what these parents go through. My heart goes out to the parents of disability children.

Anonymous said...

Machea Griffin Elizabeth:A Christmas Blessing This was a great article. It is amazing how this mother had to pray for God to teach her how to love her disable child. You would think that loving your children would come easy but, when you are put in certain situation you never know how you would feel. Thank God that this mother found out, it is a blessing just to have her, their are some people that can't have children at all.

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren, "Preventing the Contagion to Stress" by Carl Pickhardt.I agree with Mr. Pickhardt,that stress is not a problem of life, it is simply a part of life.It all depends on how you handle stress.You can turn a negative situation into a positive.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

Toddler discipline is a good article. It gives pointer on how to discipline your toddler. However, it says start counting if toddler do not listen. It never said what number to stop at.

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,"Toddle Discipline by Kimberly Meehan.I agree toddlers must have boundaries, and they should know where their boundaries lies. They should be redirected instead of time out.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

monitor your child in the hospital have helpful guidelines parents should follow. This article was very informative. Will print article out and keep it for future reference.

Anonymous said...

Machea Griffin:Can the right kind of play teach Self-Control I think that it can.If you teach and train kids what to do they will have self-control. Kids want to feel like they have a place in life, they are learning new things everyday. If you take time and teach them they will display self-control. Its not to say that in times they want act out but, that is normal.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

I read the article on child craving attention. This was a good article. I wish this article was around when my daughters were toddlers. I will past this article to young mothers so they will be able to deal with their toddler when they want attention.

Anonymous said...

Sojourner Mack

I read the article on profound disability. this was a touching article. The woman in the article adopted 26 children. But the most impelling child was Misty who had a disablity. It takes a loving person to raise a child who is disable. i appalled the mother of 26 children.

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,"Monitor Your Child in the Hospital".I didn't know while your child is in the hosptial it is not the nurse resposility it is the parents.

Anonymous said...

Machea Griffin I read Monitor your child in the Hospital. This was a very enlighting article I have never had to stay at a hospital for along time with any of my children but, their are things should know in case you do Like; what you should bring and things you should look for. We have to speak on behalf of our children sometimes so, its nice to know what to look for if u have a sick child in the hospital.

Anonymous said...

All Children need parents and family support at all times. Especially when they are sick having that support and someone to explain to the child what's happening to them makes the hospital stay that much easier.

Anonymous said...

Siblings with Disabilities

the article talked how brother and sisters of which one has a disbility, the other child felt left out, or that he/she did not have a sibling. Some felt this way because the sibling was far away not living in the home.
In some ways, the normal child can feel bad or guilty for the other child. The child with the disability earned more attention from the parents. On the other hand, the normal child sometimes felt they wanted to have that attention also. In other words, was it okay for something for something to be wrong with his/her sibling? Yes, they are still a family.
Jewel McDowell CD262 CD109

Anonymous said...

Preventing the contagion of stress

Interesting article. There are 4 stages of stress. Fatigue, burn-out
irritable, and angry. If all of these symptoms are present, you can affect the people around you. There are ways to handle stress. One may go for a walk, one may read a book, one may meditate, and one may cry. Whatever step one take affects everyone. But, what what we must all accept, stress is a part of life, the way we handle it is very important for our overall health.

Jewel McDowell CD109 CD262

Anonymous said...

I read the article monitor your with child in the hospital and I agree with the the article. For example, about germssollutions coming from the ouside into a hospital with your sick child who immune system is weak is not a good idea touch them or their surroundings. First, you need to clean your hands before touching anything. Then, the issue of monitor you made sure that the hospital is on their job 24/7 watching him or her. Mikneiah Hillary- CD 109&262

Anonymous said...

I read the article about siblings with disability. i think that the parents or guardian should have a disucussion about the disability and systoms to understand the what is going with the child. Also, don't be afraid of your they is still the same it's going to be some good days and bad days and just stay positive. Mikneiah
Hillary:CD 262 &109

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth a Christmas blessing

A very good article. This article shows how we are worried and uphappy about things, and not being blessed for the things that are good. When we are so focused on the negative, we see no positive, and no blessing.
Elizabeth could not do a lot of things, she could smile and see. She could not play with her toys, walk, or talk. But, her parents were very happy with her and could not imagine being happy without her. In the beginning, they didn't expect her to live, as the story ended, she had made it to her fourth birthday.
This reading, teaches us to be thankful for what God has given us.

Jewel McDowell CD109 262

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,''When Your Child Craves Attention",it is very important that parents show their children some attention because, if they don't they will get it from someone else,or positive attention is better than no attention at all.

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,"Acception"by Carolyn Murray, it was very hard for the mother to except her son Danel's disability. She thought that her life would be sad, but by having this little boy in her life he bought her joy,joy,joy.

Anonymous said...

i read the article acceptance because accepting a child disability would open ways to how to best care and show them love in order to feel among and loved.parents should believe there is a reason God made them who they are.Jelilat Rasheed.CD 101

Anonymous said...

Nedra Warren,"Acceptance" this was a very interested article. In order to get your children to cooperation you must first stay calm. You must have patience, and you must be persistence.Giving children choices work very well.

Anonymous said...

As a mother,I would pray for a healthy baby when i was pregnat,the tought of having a child with a didibility was one of the scariest Ive ever had,honestly i wondered if i would love that child the same as if he was healthy,but now being a proud parent,i know even if my son was disabled i would klove him just the same.
AIEYSHA CURRIN

Anonymous said...

La Wanda Dawson I read the article getting your child to coorpate And the article is right we as parents should get our child to coorpate in alot of actitives.

Anonymous said...

La Wanda dawson i just read the article diagnosis alot of times you don't know that something is wrong with your child thats why you should go take your children to the doctor's and have them tested

Unknown said...

C.Ewing
I pick when your child craves attention this article caught my eye because it is so true. I really do believe that a child who wants attention will get it any way he or she can. They do know who they can get to most attention from. The child will act out and do things to other children when they are lacking attention. But when they do get the attention they need everything about them will change and you will see a big improvment from that child.

Anonymous said...

C. Barnes
Children with disabilities need that love and much more to understand that they are cared for.As I was reading the article I though about people that give up their baby for adoption because they don't want to deal with a child that have an disability. This was really dad to read

Unknown said...

c.ewing Giving birth to a preemie your child have a greater risk of having Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or a Learning Disability. You can look for signs of this early on so if detected you can get the necessary treatment need to help with the problem.

Unknown said...

c.ewing A child with disability should not the main focus of a family. By putting the child with disability first it takes away from the family as a whole. Treat that child just like you would treat the rest of the kids in the family. The American with Disability Act has improved so overtime that the protection of education and jobs for the disable. But there will always be several questions that a parent would have and they now have all types of resources, services, and specialist that can help answer any question a parent my have.

Overtime they have been improvements in medicine and the different type of styles and treatments. With the new and improve medicine and techniques it has increase the parent involvement in the care of their child. That gives them more choices which style they are comfortable.

When you are adopting a child you have to take in consideration of their background. That helps to tell you what effects and failures they may encounter in the future. By doing the necessary research you the problem can be detected early on and be working toward the necessary help need to improve the problem.

Anonymous said...

I know is not that easy to relate to people with disability. But we should always try to see them as a real person, we shouldn't treat them different. they need care and to be loved. By doing that will make them feel good about themselves. I have three disable patient that i work with. One with mental retardation, second one is suffering autism, and the last one is suffering from down syndrome.They do more and perform more better with their activities whenever im around with them because of the love and care i provide them.
CD-101 Adeyemi Ayodeji

Unknown said...

c.ewing monitor your child in the hospital i agree that you should you should bring your own over night bag when u come to the hospital.i also agree with them when they say disinfact the tv remote, telephone, door knobs, bed control buttons an etc. i also like how they tell you to get good with your surroundings.

Unknown said...

c.ewing siblings with disabilities i agree with the part about seating the kids down and tell them but i feel like u should seat them own one at a time and tell them on the levea they would understan

Anonymous said...

Katrese Alexander Child Dev.262
I, decided to read the article titled "Acceptance" the mother in this article was depressed and lonely.The day she became pregnant and found out her son was developmentally delay she had a choice to accept her child for who he was. At the end of the article her son taught things she didn't know and this article is interesting.

Anonymous said...

I choose to read the article on prematurity simply because I have twin cousins that were born August 12,2009.I always worry about them and their health.But as the article stated its a lot going on with the 24 hour caregiver working, the alarms,the machinery,and the noises in the hospital.They are working and creating ways to help the Preemies that deal with this on a daily. I feel comfortable about them being cared for 24 hours a day after reading this article. Kenya Atwater class 109

Anonymous said...

I read the special needs advocates store and I think it's a great idea because it show that it's nothing wrong to different if you have a disability.


Mikneiah Hillary
CD: 262

Anonymous said...

I read the article when your has a disability I think it'd very informative because it discuss about how you should set up future plans for your child that some people don't think of . Also, about talking to pediatrician. Mikneiah Hillary
CD: 262

Anonymous said...

I read the article about speech and language milestones and suggestions. I think that it's important because inform parents about language and speech and symptoms of the language and speech also the age of when children develop language.
Mikneiah Hillary
CD: 262

Anonymous said...

I read the article for families of children with specials needs. It's very informative because it talks about how to cope with children disabilities.
Mikneiah Hillary
CD: 262

Anonymous said...

l Dawson I just got to reading Parenting Siblings with Disabilities and i thought the article was very good and i also say you should tell your other children if their brother and sister do have a disabilities.

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i just got thought reading the article about acceptance the article was about a mom that just had a child with a disability and she was so depress that her child was born with a disability

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i just read the article title Profound. And i do agree that so many people are scare to care for a child that do have a disabilities

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i read the article about autsim i would like to learn more about autsim

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i just got though reading the article when your child craves attention. it was a very good article and i believe that when children do behave like that they are asking for alot of attention from the parents and teachers so i would schedule a parent teachers conference

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i just read the article monitor your child in the hospital and it was too a good article to read when you are in a hospital you should monitor your child cause sometimes the doctors and nurses do be very busy

Anonymous said...

L Dawson I read the article preventing the contagion of stress the article was real good and it was right stress do come along when you are going thought alot of different problems

Anonymous said...

l Dawson i read the article strategies to bolster self-esteem and sometimes the children do have a low self-esteem on how they look and on how they are going thought alot of things at home with the parents

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i read the article helping your child to sleep through the night. if the child wake up in the middle of the night it may be cause they had a nightmare or they need you to sleep with them

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i read the article about speech and language. If your child has a speech and language problem you should think about taking them to see someone that can help them

Anonymous said...

L Dawson i read the article about toddler discipline sometimes you do have to hit your child

Anonymous said...

Maddonna wilson:
when i read this article it real touch me. when a child is created you as a parent never know how the child will be born. but you should love that child as if he or she is normal. i would say if you really feel you are not going to be able to raise your disable child than adoption will be a good way to go. but given it a chance before you just give your child away. working with that child and get all the proper help for him or her will help enlighten you on many other things about the body or brain you do not know. if i was in that situation i would keep my child because it is not their fault.

Anonymous said...

gina colbert child dev. 262
i read the article about exceptance. it was a article about a mother who had a child with a disability. at first the mother of the child was depressed like any other mother would be. her sadness soon turned to happiness that her son had taught her. for me it wouldve been hard at first cause i would have been stuck wondering why me, but i would have still loved and honored my child the same as if they normal.

Anonymous said...

I read the article Preventing the Contagion of Stress. Stress can become a problem for anyone. Stress can kill and you have to be careful when you feel stress. Situations happen and sometimes we have no control over what happens in our life,so we act and use our emotions. We need to realize that even things we can't see but feel can hurt our bodies. Stress can bring on so many problems like, heart problems, loss of hair, fatigue, may not want to do anything but sleep, loss of appetite and so much more this one word STRESS brings on so many problems that we all can do without.Deborah Batie

Anonymous said...

I read the article Does your child have a hidden disability. Often times our own children does but we don't recognize it or don't want to face the problem head on. Just because a child has a disability that doesn't mean that they should be loved any less, it doesn't me that we should treat them different, it doesn't mean that our interactions turn into just sitting them in front of the tv...Deborah Batie

Anonymous said...

C. Barnes
I read the article about attachment and the special needs child and i was really interesting. I really liked the things you can do like yoga to create a bond with a special needs child. I think that parents should not be afraid of a childs disibilities and embrace the gift they have.

Anonymous said...

Christina Glover. I loved this website. As a healthcare worker, I work with children with disablities. This is so helpful especially to parents that have more than one child to take care of. I gonna recommend this website to this lady I know. Her child has Down Syndrome

Anonymous said...

C. Barnes
I really enjoyed reading the article about acceptance. I know it was tough for her to cope with her son's disabilities at first. However,I am glad she was able to pull through her devastation and become the loving mother that her son needs. She is truly a strong person.

Agapelove said...

I read the article, and I believe it definitely provides informative information for children who have siblings with a disability. I also believe it will teach them how to treat all other children with disabilities.

C.Crockett

trina said...

i read the article about sibling with disibilities and if i have a special needs child all my children would so they can treat their brother or sister with respect trina 262

trina said...

well i like this article and i kind of felt her sometimes its hard to accept your child with a disabilty but you have to do what you have to do that all of being a mom trina 262

trina said...

i read the article about montining your child in the hospita lucky yet i have not had to stay in the hospital with one my children but i think i woild monitor them very wwell e and my mom because hospital can carry a lot of germs strngers do be coming in and out of the hospital so iam really glad i got a chance to erad this article

Anonymous said...

Sammy Lebron Child Dev. 101

The artical about gettting your children to cooperate is very interesting. I think it is all about what age it is and making a comprimise to the younger ones. if you are a parent who can relate to the Children based on their age, then you would be fine. if you go right after them with a yelling and forcful attitiude, then you are going to have problems! it is okay to be strict but if you want your child to cooperate, then make it reasonable and not overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Patricia Wooten
I was reading this because I know someone who has a child with a disability. I pray for her because I know that she struggles everyday to help her child. You have to be an exceptional human being because that takes alot of work. My mother became disabled and I had to take care of her because she was bedridden. That was very stressful, but I know if I ever had to do it again I couldn't. So, I really commend these people who have children with special needs.

Anonymous said...

This was an excellant site it had different situations that parents with disabilities face. this site had store for disability children, they had an article how family should be educated on this matter children with disability shouldn't feel left out they should feel love and not treated different just know they are special,
smilton cd 101

Anonymous said...

Pilar Reed

The article i read was called acceptance. It was about her mother with a son by the name of daniel who was born with a disability. When the article first begun the mother seemed very sad and depressed. But as the article went on she learned to love and accept her son as he was. He makes her so happy she explains and that through all his struggles he still is a playful child. I really liked this article because most parents may have gave up on their child but she kept her head head and learned to love him for him.

Anonymous said...

rosenice evans

i read the article about acceptance also and i feel that it is hard for a parent to accept when something is wrong with your child my mother has five children and the middle child is the only child of her's with a disability he has dislexia and A.D.D and although he seems normal on the outside he isnt on the inside and he struggles with those issues so he act's out all the time and as a 16 yr old teenager growing up in the ''hood'' it's hard to make your child want to do better and my mom took many years trying to cope with what was happing to her child but she soon learned that being depreesed and angry will only make things worse

Anonymous said...

A mother shoul accept their child no matter what they didnt ask to be here and they need our unconditional love. Ive worked with special need children and I try to treat them as if They were my own which mean I try not to treat them any differently. Kids can sense when someone dosent want to be bothjer with them and u never want to give a child that sense on insecurity so hats off to every family or mother who has a child with special needs and stepped up to the plate and took care of that child because I know it is never easy> Zenobia Barler

Anonymous said...

I agree that many people are afraid to love a child that is not healthy. This is a problem with the healthy kids and adults living with the unhealthy chid.I believe that there are a lot of people who deserve more credit than people are wiling to give. Anquinetta Butler

Vickie Bradford said...

I chose to read the article acceptance. It was so touching. I cannot imagine what it feels like to have a child with a disability such as hers. I commend her for being so open and honest.

lashann walker said...

i have a child thats disabled she is not disabled so far as not capable of getting around but she is delayed and she is still overweight but she is losing the weight thank god and she is doing a lot better but when i first found out she had pradar willie syndrome and it was a slightly retardation and developmentally delayed illness it hurt me so bad i wasn't ashamed of her abd everybody asked me how could i deal with it and people treated her different and some stayed away cause they didnt know how to react to her but i mourned because i was hurt for her i thought so deep about how whe might feel i imagined if it were me how could i take it it felt like being a room with no air and can't breathe but it didn't seem that waay through her eyes she loved me and i love her and thats all that counts and i can only love her and help her become a better person as much as i can.

Anonymous said...

i choose the articale about sibling with disability. I think its supre hard when you have a children and one of them have disabilit beause the other children may not understand what's going and then the other chidlren may become jealous because they feel that child is getting all the attention from the parent and sometimes it very difficult to explain to your children what is going on with their sister or brother.


kristina widemon