This is an article about moral development in babies! I can't wait to see this information get into the texts
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/magazine/09babies-t.html?src=me&ref=general
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Blog for students in the Child Development Program to learn from and with each other!
32 comments:
As i have read so far a child takes away the candy and hits the puppet that was behaving bad. i realize that the child had to have had this done to him or see it get done to his other siblings or someone who is getting hit. even though at the young age of 1 a child can not speak that well to express his or hers do understand what is being said to them. the child is developing good because he was able to exercise skills in the cognitive development and physcial.
Maddonna Wilson
I believe that all babies should be able to expereince things wrong or good. Children should be able to learn from their mistakes and have support from other people while they are exploring and doing so.
William Hill Cd109, feels that moral development occurs on its own buut is indeed influenced by the environment. For example, if a child is raised in a home where killing and stealing is the norm. The child will grow up thinking it's ok to steal and kill, and that child would never see the wrong in their acts, because they were never taught right from wrong.
I really love this study because it gives better insight to how, what an why, do really babies understand right from wrong.
Fatimah Kabir
CD-101
the video talking about the research on finding if babies know who is good and bad. i found that very interesting how it worked out.
i really think that it is really the truth that you are what your environment is in certain instances but children even adults pick up bad habits from other people i dont there is a child born taking things or hitting they have seen it done just like if someone smoke and they tell their child not to its worthless 9 times out of ten that child will pick up the habit.
Children are just that Children we all were kids once before and I believe they should be able to express themselves in every way.
I totally agree with ms.mcintyre about children being able to experiencing things wrong or right, as well as good or bad. becausew if they don;t learn the difference at a early age, it will be a problem for them when they do become of age.
Fatimah Kabir
Cd-101
I think it is very interesting that children so young can tell the difference between right and wrong. It makes me wonder what is happening to children as they get older that makes it so hard for them to make moral decisions. What is causing the change? I would like to fing out.
CBarnes CD109
AS I WAS WATCHING THIS I WAS THINKING THE CHILD HAD TO HAVE SEEN THIS SOMEWHERE OR THE CHILD HAS DONE THIS BEFORE. I REALLY THINK THAT IT'S THE TRUTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT THAT CHILDREN ARE BEING BRUNG UP AROUND IS NOT LIKE IT USE TO BE AND CHILDREN ARE STARTING TO THINK ITS OK BECAUSE ITS WHAT THEY SEE EVERYDAY.
Crystal Cager
I totally agree with Paul Bloom.
Contrary to Sigmund Freud and Jean Piaget's theories, I do not feel that babies lack moral values, especially at the age of 1. I think that we as adults sometimes underestimate the intelligence of children, including babies. This is a good argument for nature vs. nurture. In this case, I am a bigger believer in nature, because although parents have to teach their children concepts, there is a certain amount of them that they already know, or that they pick up on their own. Particularly, regarding the concept of right vs.wrong, babies learn this very early in life, if they were not born with at least a small amount of knowledge of it.
I don't agree with Takahya point I feel that kids should do things on their own so they can learn right from wrong. Babies should not do things on their own they need people to guide them in the right why so when they get older they know right from wrong.
Nicole A. Greer
This is a really good article, childhood is the stage where babies absorb more information. And in my opinion children can tell whats right or wrong depending on how each parent educate they children.
Janette Avila
Sherita Kennie: This article talks about a babies ability to tell the difference between right and wrong at such a young age. Children are like sponges and they know many things that people don't give them credit for. We usually don't pay attention to them because we as parents or older family members focus on the fact that kids learn from us and we never try to learn from them until they do something wrong.
Sherita Kennie reply to Rachael Adesola: Children are born with certain things that are innate. They just know how to do it. The reason that children change when they get older is because parents have to cultivate the behavior. They may understand what they should or should not do, but whent it has to be applied they cne be totally lost.I hope that I have help you. There are so many thing that can effect this behavior.
Loreal, I can’t really say but if a one year old know to take candy from the naught puppet as it follow with a hit. The child knows right from wrong. And the child may had happen to it sometime in it life. Maybe!
I don't think babies know right from wrong. Of course the baby is going to chose the yellow one its yellow, the brighter color. I only seen the red puppet which was in the childs face so I guess the baby had to chose it,and for the blue cat it was in the baby face as well. ok, if you say so the babies know right from wrong.
A. Henning
Sherita Kennie: Children do what they see happening around them. I don't think that this is a bad thing but I do think that it is an example o the parent. Either, the parent should reevalate how thaey punish people and/or watch what they do around their children. On the ohter hand, the child understood that the puppet was doing something wrong and handled the situation the way he knew best.
Sherita Kennie to Takahya McLntyre: I do believe that children should experience both good and bad things as well. However, in this case the child was displaying a learned habbit that could lead to negative behavior in the future if he is not taought a positive way to handle redirection.
Sherita Kennie to CBarnes: I totaly agree with you. Sometimes parents of families overlook these behaviors and dont realize how the child is beind effected. If that is what he is seeing on a normal basis , he is learning that that is the right thing to do. Some thing are okay but we have to know what damage it could present in the future. Also, if this is a single learned behavior how are all of the other things handled?
when i change my major from criminal justice to education i really head second thought the more i study in the early education program i love it and lean much more each day .
jovan leggett
jovan leggett reads maddonna wilson and Children should be able to learn from there own mistake to better them in the long run.
I think kids have to develop and when they hit it's a part of their development stage which is were scaffolding comes in were the parent have to teach the children not to hit.
I find this article to be challeging to read, I believe that children are born with a certain amount of senses to know right from wrong or good and evil. They know when they don't want to be bothered with someone that they sense not right. They response in a way that may not be when you say know to a baby and the baby repeat it back to you most of the time the child understand no. no mean's no Twanna Burney
Loreal, commenting on my first one.Although I feel the child knows right from wrong, he doesn’t know proper way to go about getting what the he wants. Don’t think the child hits because he was anger that was his only way on showing he wanted something. As we all know its take time in teaching a child and it take time for them to learn and understands it.
Loreal, i also agree with Mclntyre, it does take time in teaching a child proper behavior. Thats why it good for them to learn for their actions.Children are not bad when if they dont know they are only curious.
Loreal, I agree with william kids do learn from what they see in home setting or other setting if no one’s is around to show or tell them different from right from wrong. which is sad because it hurting the parent and the child. due to the fact no one want to be around an uncooperative person.
ashleigh martin
this article talks about children being able to tell right and wrong at such a young age.n i like this acrticle becasue it gives you a better underatding on why children act the way they do. i feel as tho if children are rasied in corrupt homes then nines times the child will grw up doing corrupt things until they are able to understand that those things are wrong.
ashleigh martin
i agree with lashann walker. people really dont understand they childrenpick up on everything they see. peopl ereally arent aware of these and then try to punish their children when they do. but what the parents dont understand is that if they do more positive things in front of their children then they will do more positive things instead of doing the negative things.
Moral…. After reading this article and my experience, I feel babies are aware of their actions. I believe there distinct thought process, can determine right from wrong. Nurturing from a care giver empowers them even the more. With love, affection, caring and sharing their cognitive skills are developed for better understanding .
jessica tristan. i agree with takahya mclntyre. i think she is absolutely right.
melodye said...
As I read the article, i believe that as a baby, they can develop learned behavior form what they may see someone do or can be taught to do things as a baby. So once they reach the age of 1, even though they may not be able to talk, the child can express their behavior by their actions and whatthey have been taught
Post a Comment