Here's a video I would like you to watch and comment on...
http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Blog for students in the Child Development Program to learn from and with each other!
25 comments:
This video may me think about how my life change when I came to this country, with a different language, culture etc.And how we as human beings decided to use the word illegal that may us feel discriminated,but somehow it helps us move forward with greater determination and speaking two languages is a triumph.NOT FORGET THAT THIS IS THE COUNTRY OF OPPORTUNITIES.
Sherita Kennie. I think that this is an excellent video. The perfect example of our perception in society. I have to admit that it is true that we do learn first from our parent and upbringing what they think is the best way to live. On the contrary, the books that we read are not meant to be fiction to our ears but rather truth in the fact that it is our education. The misleading eeducation that is given freely but steals our freedom to think on our own.
This presentation changes the minds of ignorant people and broadens their horizon about some places.I think its a great piece. Victoria Avadu
While watching and listening to this video it made me realize we are quick to judge people.
This was a learning lesion for me; I learn not to stereotype or assume.
This presentation changes the minds of ignorant people and broadens their horizon about some places.I think its a great piece. Victoria Avadu
Sherita Kennie,I think that this video was a great example of the way that being an American citizen creates a mindset for us. Our parents teach us first how they belive we will benefit best. On the contrary, the books that we are educated with are a false preception of the American way. We are taught that the literature in books is what we should believe. This very thing strips us of our own freedom to think critically and explore our ability to apply logic. Education will set you free, is a commom slogan used out of context.
I remember viewing this last semester and it completely opened my eyes to how things can be very one sided, from one perspective, if not taken outside of the box presented and seen for a complete whole.
-Ivory Sanchez
she talk about hoe africa rights saved her froma single story. Also hoe people in africa were very poor. her roomate had a single story as well, as her roomate response to afirca as people waiting around to saved by other people that was not from africa. thats what i got from the film.
As I watched the video I have perceived people for how they looked in life as a child. Now that I am an adult now I see society today as people and not from where they come from and how they live. There was another thing that came to light as I have seen from the media has never shown the parts that are better which are areas of countries that gives better views. Knowing what I know now from visiting certain countries or dating different ethics’ backgrounds it’s not bad. You have to see things for yourself.
Vern Adams
To Anonymous; "And how we as human beings decided to use the word illegal that may us feel discriminated" My husband is Mexican, born in Mexico and moved here when he was 3. I don't understand how people can have the audacity to call anyone else "illegal aliens" when this country was and still is BUILT on diversity and coming together. No one her is a NATIVE to this country and no one seems to get that. I actually love the scene in the movie where America was basically being destroyed and everyone was trying to "jump the boarder" into Mexico. Just ironic and I believe it would happen too. Look at the shoe on the other foot!
-Ivory Sanchez
Sherita Kennie
Comment to Anonymous
I can understand how you feel when you came here and relized how judgemental America can be. However, being a citizen of a country where one has had the opportunity to be what ever they wasnt, sometimes is the reason that American do the opposite. Some may feel settled with where they are and others feel as if it is never to late. Let me encourage you to continue to follow your dreams instipe of what other do or think! It is your journey and your destiny.
Charmaine Irving:
America indeed has embarked on judging Africa and other continents as countries and their native people as being derived from pure poverty. I too have had a picture of how the average African looked, ate, "hunted", lives, and speaks negatively painted in my head from the media. It is not fair how the only images shown of other cultures from places outside of the US are Feed the Children commercials and Mexicans living impoverished, dying to get the America "the great" for a better life for their children. I have many Ethiopian friends who at first shocked me in appearance, because they were more "American" than myself. People need to resort back to the old saying on how to never judge a book by its' cover; especially a cover that is written by biased media!
-Charmaine Irving
WONDERFUL!!
Conformation that all African Americans and others should know there history. It's been told to me many time not to let someone else tell your story.
The danger of a Single Story is not the whole story and most of the time it is being told my someone who doesn't have a clue!
Learn and tell your own story. Teach your children their HISTORY.
A. Henning
listen and watching this video American citizen all have the righ to do and so many are quick to judge.and adding education is free jovan leggett
ashleigh martin
i agree with charmaine irving. im alwasy quick to judge when i dont know exactly what going on. but in this case people know the hard living siutations in Africa and they unbarable. as i have gotten older im not quick to judge anymore.
OUTSTANDING! A OLD SAYING DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! BE OPEN, RESEARCH AND DONT JUDGE THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE HERE IN THE WORLD FROM MANY WALKS OF LIFE.
Chimamand Adichie conversion of being a stereotypical person made quite an impact on her life. This story reminds me of the old cliché’, “Don’t’ judge a book by its cover. Open up the book and read the book, and you will understand it much better. It is imperative for us to really get to know a person before we past judgment. We never know the obstacles people face in the lives, prior to their success. As people go through there trials and tribulations on their road to success, there future looks quite dim. To attain success through your challenging “bounce back” moments is all summed up in one word. Resilience! Early Childhood Aspirants that face various challenges with your family and your friends. Your resilience shall be great! Look at me!
I shared this video on FB twice. So powerful and profound! Her style of speaking and writing is so elegant as she beautifully makes her point about assumptions and stereotypes. I really enjoyed this.
I love the eye opening conversation she initiates with a simple thought. I have Nigeria associates and preconceived notions about who they were initially. Its so easy to get caught up on the outside.
Latasha Coleman
I think she is a very good speaker. I enjoyed her story. You should never judge a book by its cover. But, I am guilty of doing this sometimes.
Vivian Tyms CD- 109
Powerful speaker. What I got out of this article is Never Judge a book by its cover and everyvody doesn't have the same opportunities
Takiya Clausell
this changes my view of the other countries and how poverty doesn't apply to all. I woul say that i was ignorant before watching this video because of what i heard about this particular country but didn't take the tme to research or find out the truth. i'd have to agree with ivory about how things can be so one sided.
Loreal L
i enjoyed her story she is a strong women and speaker to lets others in her circle it takes a strong person to do such thing.
Loreal L
I agree with Sherita Kennie of her feeling. i think this is a excellent video also.
Loreal L
Never judge someone off backhand you never knows a person background.
this is a learning lesson for me from watching this video.
Post a Comment