What do you guys prefer? Read this article and make a comment.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/nyregion/20textbooks.html?_r=1&ref=education
Monday, October 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Blog for students in the Child Development Program to learn from and with each other!
39 comments:
Myneesha Mitchell
I do not like reading things online.I believe that the cost of textbooks are very worthy. It is easier for me when studying information from a textbook. I can highlight certain information and easily go back to it.
ANTOINETTE COLE
I PREFER TO READ TEXT BOOKS ONLINE THAN READING PAPER TEXTBOOKS. SOMETIMES THE TEXT BOOK HAS INACCURATE INFORMATION AND THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH FOR ME TOO READ.
Sherita Kennie
I feel that text books online may be a great idea because the price may be cheaper and we won't have to carry the heavy books around. However, if we refer to the text in class I question how that may work efficiently. Sometimes I like to write in my textbook and to highlight the important things for later reference and I wount be able to do that it textbooks go online. I feel that another problem may be that all students may not be able to afford a computer or internet service at home and that is a concern for students as well.
Dierra Blakely
I think that text book in person is better for me because its always handy and i can consentrate reading a book rather then being online reading, where i can get on other websites and loose focuse.
Linda owens i perfer to have a text book in frount of me. although the prices of textbooks are very high.
Angella Henning
Textbooks on line for me would not be a good idea. I don't like the computer, I'm not good with the computer,I need the actually book. Anther reason I don't perfer the computer is because I would always have to be seating up when reading.
Rhonda Veronica Williams....Yes... We should have text books on line,as well as access to E Books on line!! Although I love ACTUAL text books, many of my class mates love E Books! The opportunity for the right to choose is very essential!!
Ashleigh Martin
i really don't think the textbooks online would be a good idea. What if people don't have access to computers and if they do trying to print the information would actually be hard cause the printing fee's be to much. Although most of the textbooks are expensive I would like to have them because I can mark in them and keep them if I wanted to look back on them for other classes in the future.
Nicole i like my books in my hands because i can write in the book. On line book are not good to me because if your are reading something on line that site might go out and if you do not have a computer with the internet you can not read your books.
Ericka Williams
I prefer reading text books rather than reading online
victoria avadu.
I feel paper test books are better than online test books,when it comes to cost as in a lot of people do not have assess to the computer in their various homes.Also, the online test books i think when one has to read a 10 page paper, looking at the screen of the computer for a long time can harm one's eye.
Myneesha Mitchell
I love textbooks. They are awesome! It is easier to store information that is read from a textbook. Not to mention studying is also easier. :)
Loreal. Lucas
I prefer to read and work out of the text books then going online. online make it hard for me to understand whats going on.
Twanna Burney
I like texbook because you can write in the text and use what you write as reference.
Jovan Leggett
buying my text book will be super great.copy a text book tungs of money and ink and also add u will get the run a rounds just looking for a copy maechine.over all I think having your text book will be much more reaiable to your benfits.
Linda Owens - I agree with Faton Begolli,to add to it laptops are very costly.Also, renting a book would be good if the rentel fee is not as costly as buying a book.
Personally, I think that paper textbooks are better. It is very hard to retain information and try to navigate the computer at the same time. When the textbook is in front of me, I can devote my full attention to the information I am trying to learn.
Crystal Cager
The comment that starts with "Personally" is mine.
Angella Henning
I am an old fashion person therefore I perfer the text book.
I do however beleive that the prices of books are inflated just like medicine. High demand means high prices!
It's funny how I actually just had a conversation with another student regarding physical textbooks and online books. In regards to ALL the comments the way I see it is that for 1, there are many pros and cons about both paperback/hardcover textbooks, and online ebooks. I of course prefer the ebooks for a number of reason. Everything I do that is school related is done on my computer. In college there really is no such thing as hand written papers anymore. Having the ability to click on a separate window instead of flipping through 40 pages to find what i need is extremely convenient. Also the luxury of not having to lug around 4 or 5 huge textbooks is great as well. Everything I need is right at my finger tips. Of course if someone does not have a laptop, computer or isn't very "computer savvy" it may not be the best choice for them. This is why, during my conversation, my point was that it would be great if all textbooks came with an ebook version so the student could choose what works best for them... I mean books are expensive either way, why not factor convenience in the price.
-Ivory Sanchez
I like the old fashion books because like to write in my book, feel the text book, and i fold the tip of the page. The E-books you can not do anything of those things. i feel that if stay on the computer for a long time your eyes and head will start to hurt. You also, if your computer go down or turn of you can not do the rest of your reading.
I do however believe that the text books are pricey.
Nicole A Greer
Sherita Kennie
Even though I personally believe that everything will go e-commerce shortly, people still have a choice in the matter and frankly they win. In my personal opinion, I can do either, use papper back books or e-books. I have a reader now and it is much cheaper to load the book onto my reader. As far as taking them back and forth to class, books can cause back problems. Also how would a lecture go if there was no where to reference when asking or answering a question?
Charmaine Irving:
I think that a total digital world is a little scary! I have a great love for computers, cell phones, television etc. Oovoo and skype are among some of the most amazing inventions that the internet has to offer, but because of all the recreational "fun" activities the internet has to offer, it's nice to reform to a real paper textbook at the end of the day. Though information can be stored on the internet, making it easier to read a book online and keep your place for some, it wouldn't be fair for all. Technology isn't for everyone.
-Charmaine Irving.
As a student I know I have to keep up the the latest technology, or the world will past me by. I love Books I love the feel of book, the smell of new and some old books. You put a book away and 20-30 yrs. it will still be there. You don't have to reboot or wait to find a hot spot. Just turn the pages and let your mind be free.
Twanna Burney
Good Morning Professor Connor and Fellow Classmates.
From: Rhonda Veronica Williams
Child Development: Major
Media Communications: Minor
I think that paper text books will help conserve many trees in the forest. We are living in an ecologist go green society, so that would be one of the issues student would support at Olive Harvey College. Ultimately, online books would be the real way to go. WOW!!! How would it feel not to have to carry books in our heavy back packs? Especially, those that are traveling on public transportation. Let’s keep this issue on the forefront.
Jennifer Jiles
I feel more comfortable with reading textbooks because it gets my full attention. I dislike reading things online because I lose focus easily and begin browsing other sites. And also with textbooks i can see the material up close and don't have to worry about straining my eyes.
Although I don not agree with most of these text book prices, I still perfer them. I can't just look at a computer and read read read, I need the book to highlight surtain things also its easy to go from page to page. I wish the prices will go down, but I guess I'm jus going to be one of those that's carying big book around.
OKAY NOW, I THINK PEOPLE ON GOING TO FAR! E TEXTBOOKS WE'RE ONLINE TOO MUCH AS IT IS. WRAPPING UP IN BED,COUCH, OR CHAIR WITH THAT TEXT DOING SOME REAL INDEPTH STUDYING! ALL THESE WEBSITE THAT WE ENGAGED IN I THINK ITS A SETUP FOR FAILURE HOW MUCH WORK TO THEY THINK STUDENTS WILL GET DONE IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER ALL THE TIME. PC=RESEARCH ONLY. STICK TO TEXT BOOKS. WHILE WE'RE ON TEXT BOOK SOMEBODY TELL THE WRITERS MORE INFO IS NEEDED AND MOST OF PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE. IT BAD ENOUGH WE HAVE TO BE TAUGHT BY TEACHERS WHO ARE SET IN THEIR OWN WAYS OF HOW TO TEACH, DONT TAKE THE TEXT BOOKS FROM US!
jessica tristan. all in all i think textbooks are too expensive whether its online or not they just cost too much! alot of students might not access to an online book so in reality i think the paper textbooks might work out better
Ashley Whiters
I think that paper textbooks are better. Having a paper textbook is easier for studying because information can be easily highlighted. Online textbooks would not work because some have difficulty navigating the computer easily.
Ashley Whiters
I think that paper textbooks are better. Having a paper textbook is easier for studying because information can be easily highlighted. Online textbooks would not work because some have difficulty navigating the computer easily.
Loreal Lucas I prefer to read out of a text book than on line because I don’t like to worry about the hassle of the internet not working probably when assignment is due for a class with the text book you only have to keep up with the book and opening it when you have to read it worry free.
Rondrell...i feel that text books on-line is a bad idea because not everyone has access to a computer at anytime to do homework or study. but with a store bought text book goes any where u take it to do homework or study.
Latasha Coleman
I think all textbooks are too expensive. Next semester, I am choosing to buy used books online to keep my cost low.
melodye said..
I prefer to use textbooks due to the lack of technology still with you may not be able to find evey book on e-textbooks. Also i find it more convinent for me and the price is reasonable and i dont have to worry about trying to search for the book online.
Takiya Clausell
I like having unlimited Access to view any part of my books all times. Many people believe that electonics has the same value but i'm not impressed with the idea. There are books that I would want to keep and cherish forever to pass along. It's not the same as having to bookmark or highlight and hold something thats important while studying. Getting away from textbooks and converting over to electronical things will destroy the originality of paper back textbooks.
Vivian Tyms CD-109
I perfer reading Paper back books. Online reading is not good. Sitting at a computer all day can be very bad for you and sometimes you have to read something more than once. So reading on line is something that I wont perfer.
Pilar Reed
Reading online. No way, I love to read out of the textbook. All I have to do is go directlty to the chapter or watever im trying to read. If I was tryna to go online it would be to much extra stuff needed. Textbooks are Great!
Henning... Books,Books, more Books, keep them I can not take the computer!! Ok, I know I need to step into the 21st century!
Post a Comment