Monday, November 8, 2010

RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

28 comments:

Ivory Sanchez said...

I find it amazing and completely true about how in this day in age people are separated into 'Smart people and not smart people' according to the intellectual model of the mind. Everyone is set by a standard at how we should think, how we should solve things, and etc. I always tell people, I'm not smart, I just have common sense and it seems that the way people are programed to think that may be completely true.
As ADHD being a Modern epidemic was completely baffling to me! "We medicating as routine as tonsils" Basically we are creating walking Zombies and blaming the day to day environment children are forced to be a part of. It's completely insane! "We shouldn't be putting them to sleep, we should be waking them up" and I completely agree!
-Ivory Sanchez

Anonymous said...

Sherita Kennie: As a former educator I do believe that it is time to change the way that we educate our children. This world has changed to a more technology and visual based force. Yet the way that most students are being educated is not. It sadened me when I noticed the reality of our situation. Especially when the subject of what we tell children, will benefit them by being educated. It isn't so true anymore and who's trying to fix it?

Charmaine Irving said...

Charmaine Irving:
I agree with the man in this video. The educational system is so structured and separated into spectrum's that hardly benefit the student on a means that produces "higher test scores." Children are being diagnosed with learning disabilities unnecessarily and are given harmful medicines that kids shouldn't ingest. Learning and school was a highly yearned accomplishment for many, and used to be fun, nowadays the classrooms are dull. Since the boom in technology is what children are interested in, maybe the educational system can work it into the curriculum?

Anonymous said...

Charmaine Irving:
I agree with the man in this video. The educational system is so structured and separated into spectrum's that hardly benefit the student on a means that produces "higher test scores." Children are being diagnosed with learning disabilities unnecessarily and are given harmful medicines that kids shouldn't ingest. Learning and school was a highly yearned accomplishment for many, and used to be fun, nowadays the classrooms are dull. Since the boom in technology is what children are interested in, maybe the educational system can work it into the curriculum?

Anonymous said...

What do teacher make, I love it. It made me lol and it made me think, I like it when he said he make parents see their children for who they reall are. I aslo liked when asked how much do you make. I make kids wonder, I make them read, write, spell. I make a difference now what about you. I want to be a teacher as well.
Twanna Burney

Anonymous said...

ASHLEIGH MARTIN
this video spoke alot of truth. its seems like in todays world without an education you wont get far at all. its sad that the world is broken down into who is smart and who is not. alot of children arent getting the proper education and it sucks beause these are the ones thats going to run the world oneday.

Anonymous said...

Wow! wouldn't that be something if we could change the way education is seen. I strongly agree with the idea that this thing is about money and separation. And the thought that children are being giving medicine to come them down when all they need is to be challenged is a shame. I don't know what can we do? who makes these decisions? I hope I didn't vote for them!
A. Henning

NICOLE RELF said...

SO SO SO TRUE HOW CAN U TEACH BASED ON PAST DISCOVERY PEOPLE ARER GROWING EVERYDAY. EACH INDIVIDUAL LEARN DIFFERENTLY YES BECAUSE THERE SO MANY TAUGHT DIFFERENT AND TAKE IN INFORMATION DIFFERENTLY AS WELL. IT DOES MAKE ONE PERSON SMARTER THAN THE NEXT. I GET MORE FROM GROUP DICUSSION THAN I DO READING ALONE DOES THAT MAKE ME SLOWER BECAUSE I MIGHT NOT GET WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME ALONE. THEN COMES THE LABELING JUST A REASON TO NOT HAVE TO WORK HARDER OR JUST TAKE ANOTHER APPROACH WITH A STUDENT. HMM! JUST DOPE THEN UP OR SAY THEIR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH SO WHY WASTE TIME.

Anonymous said...

This clip is will give a person something to think about like were does our future headding from her we have no focus on education just on the vaule of cell phones, clothes, games and other things thats not educational.

Anonymous said...

(Jovan) Today as I speek pepople value there education,structure and ability to do well is up to them as the person.

Anonymous said...

jovan leggett read charmine irving

i also do agree educational system is so structured and separated technology need to take into some deep considration.

Anonymous said...

RSA Animate-Changing Education Paradigms This blog left me speachless. It started off with children taking their places in economies of the 21st Century, an economy that we don't what the future holds.

Children today don't believe that there is a future for them, at least the children in my neighborhood, all the want to do is talk on the phone, play the playstation and what ever the latest electronic devices that is on the market. Children now a days get board very quickly their tention span is so short. Reading this article inlitghten me on what doctor are doing to our children giving them medication to be active and medication to make them less agressive. Some don't know wheater they are coming or going. How doctor have come up with ADHD being a modern epidemic, it seems our children don't have a chance. I total agree with the writer, instead of putting our children to sleep we should be waking them up. Twanna Burney

Rhonda Veronica Williams said...

Ken Robinson exemplifies a unique form of mild satire, which is quite factual. Many of us need to share with our friends and family on how America derived to public education. Yes it is true! Before the 1900, the federal government thought it was a waste of time to education street kids of working class families! That is why we as scholars at Olive Harvey College should attend class every day, and receive the great lectures that Professor Kate Connor has worked so patiently to prepare for us on a daily basis. Professor Connor… Now I see why a catholic education is cherished to be so conducive, because of the Jesuits that were dedicated to teach with passion. We as Early Child Development aspirants should have that same passion.

Americia Huckabee said...

There are several ideas that has resignated from this "RSA Animate -Changing Education Paradigms". One: that Congress see education for the tax benefit that it generates; two: education is no longer a benefit that promotes stable and productive citizens for society, but the lack of it produces a society which is dictated by "enemy of self", meaning, I'm out to get what I can for self, no matter how I get it. Which produces more revenue for the city as well as the state,by building more penal institutions to house the uneducated, or three: by producing a society that can not function, because so many of our children are being drugged by our education system, either because they can't handle or don't want to handle children who are active. And even still, because these over active children grow up to be over active adults, and society can't handle them, so they end up on the list "The America's Most Wanted!

Anonymous said...

Lenora Threets
Child Development 109

My comment to the video is that we as parents and teachers must teach our children that no matter what race, culture or religion they are, they are equal to the next individual. The world is full of races individuals and what we teach our children inside and outside their homes take on a big impact on their daily ways of living and its causes a problem in their futures to come.

Anonymous said...

Patrice Perry CD 109:

I was completely amazed by the video. A couple of points the guy made really stuck out to me. The first was when he made the comparison to children being medicated for ADHD as routine as tonsils. In my opinion, I feel that instead of parents and or specialist accurately evaluating a child and trying to get to the root cause in most cases of "ADHD" children are just being stamped with a labeled, because they would be easier to handle if they were just medicated. It also stuck out to me when he mention there are smart people and not smart people. I notice while doing my Student-Teaching, how some teachers separate their class. For example there would be two types of groups in the class, the group that understands the work and the group that need more help. I feel that there is no such thing as a not smart person, and after looking at that video and seeing things
implemented in the class people really do think there are the smart and the not smart. I believe children learn better from each other and classroom settings should be integrated and those that excel should be allow to help those that struggle.

Gina Martinez said...

He makes such valid points! Why do we allow our society to take away arts, creative thinking and education while stamping our kids out with labels on something of a "model year" basis. As parents, educators, concerned citizens and tax payers we are the ones who make the decision! Being active participants in school board and other school related events is a starting place.

Gina Martinez said...

He makes such valid points! Why do we allow our society to take away arts, creative thinking and education while stamping our kids out with labels on something of a "model year" basis. As parents, educators, concerned citizens and tax payers we are the ones who make the decision! Being active participants in school board and other school related events is a starting place.

LaJeanaD said...

The overmedicating of children as a part of this discussion grabbed my attention right away. This is something that is of great concern when a child is trying to focus already.

LaJeanaD said...

Take the time to wake them up! I love this part! Children have so much inside of them just waiting to get out!

Anonymous said...

Latasha Coleman

I think he makes very valid points. I am a child development major and a parent and I think we should get more involved with are children's education. They are our future.

Anonymous said...

Takiya Clausell
Education is not valued as much as it should be, due to the total cost of it. The hopes of graduating with a degree to have a good paying job is impossible due to the economy. Society has changed the beliefs of many people and what they hoped for in the future. Many people don't believe that we are being brain washed to believe anything that we are told. ADHD has become one of the most commonly know to man diagnosis to be treated. Some children express themselves through being much more dramatic than other children who have plenty of other opportunities such as extra curriculum activities or any other ways of feeling free to be absolutely themselves.

Anonymous said...

Vivian Tyms CD-109
This is a very good video. It makes you think where are we going and what is going to happen in the future. makes you think whats important to people

Anonymous said...

Pilar Reed

Everything in this article I strongly believe. It's crazy and sad that the world always wants to section you off into groups. Who's smart and who"s not I hate all the negativity.

Anonymous said...

The video "RSA-Changing Education Paradigms was interesting and informative to me. At first, learning and school was an high accomplishment for many, and used to be more lively, but nowadays the classrooms are dull. I do not feel that people should be separated into "Smart people and not smart people'. I would not say that I am smart, I just have common sense. It is sad that the world is broken into "smart people" and not smart people".





Ashley Whiters

JoAnn Johnson said...

This video was very enlighten to me. This method of teaching and learning is so very true in the way the government has set it up to be. The world would a better place if we were able to learn in the way the speaker spoke on. Children were and still are so medicated on medicine today, no wonder so much crime are commited. Some chidren just do not learn in the same way as the system has it set-up for them to learn. So what about them?

Anonymous said...

Maricarmen Gonzalez Fall 2011 Child Dv. 109

It's a shame to hear and also see these things happening so rapidly around us. It seems like a lot of children are stuck on technology now a days so maybe the way these teachers teach, should be adding more tech stuff in the class. Problem is funding but a teacher can always write grants.

Anonymous said...

Loreal Lucas
I agree with Charmaine Irving on this video abou The educational system beening structured and separated into spectrum's that hardly benefit the student on a means that produces "higher test scores."