Friday, November 28, 2008

Tenure?

check out this article from the New York Times: Lets talk about the positives and negatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/education/13tenure.html?_r=1

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking away the Tenure can have a positive and negative effects. I think that teachers do have a responsiblity to our children while teaching them. They say 1 bad apple spoiled the whole bunch. I don't think that's true. We have some very good teachers out here,and instead of taking away the tenure maybe they should change the policy a little by putting teachers on a probation period over several years and then evaluate them on their process.Rowna Miles CD-120,101,262

Anonymous said...

I think there's a faulty link here. I tried to go on the website but couldn't retrive the information. I do know a little about Tenure from what I have heard it seems to be a debatable issue on whether or not its a good idea to keep it or ditch it. On one end I do feel that teachers can benefit from it. It can be a advantage or a disadvantage for them. but I do feel if the teachers are good and actually do their jobs they deserve to reach Tenure.

Unknown said...

Tenure seems to be a big issue. I do feel that Tenure should be given to tecahers who are deserving and doing their job correctly. I also agree with rowna on the idea of Tenure having positive and neagative affects.

Anonymous said...

olatunde CD 101
eradicating tenure will have positive effect on school system. this will make the future of students brighter and not make them half baked students. it will also make anyone interested in teaching buckle up his or her belt to learn, but not to be a mediocre. i support Ms. Rhee's proposal

Anonymous said...

olatunde CD 101
According to shameka's comment, tenure should be giving to deserving teacher that is those who knows their job. if this tenure which is giving immunity to unqualified teacher is not eliminated, the future of our upcoming leaders of tommorow (children) is being put into jeopardy.

Anonymous said...

I actually found this information to be kind of confusing at first. After reading these two pages about it some of it makes sense to me and some of it is confusing. I agree that some teachers don't really do their jobs and they need to know how to be a good teacher or else they shouldn't teach. The pay raise sounds convincing but behind the scenes how will it really affect you? I guess I would have to be in this situation to really interpret and understand what really is going on. Daarina Wilson

Anonymous said...

I feel that this can be a good and bad thing. Of course what teacher wouldn't want a pay raise. But at the same time some teachers may know what they are teaching very well but do not know or understand how to teach it. Some teachers teach as though the students already know what they are talking about and teach as though they know everything before it is even taught to them. That is one of the problems i have always had with once a teacher reaches a certain amount of years a school can not fire them but what if they are not a good teacher and are not that benefical to the students.
La'Tesha M. Milton

Anonymous said...

I,m a little confused. I'm thinking that this mean that teachers have the right to not do their job and will not get fired for it. If that is true, then the education system sucks. I feel that if you are a teacher you should do it because of the love you have for children. I feel any one getting into this field should do it for the children, and I also feel that teachers who are not doing their job should be fired immediately without a question.

Anonymous said...

I think that teachers who are doing their job should receive tenure. They shouldn't be punished because some of their peers decided to start slacking off.

Kelli Davis C.D. 120

Anonymous said...

Claudia says........ tenure will always have pros and cons but evaluating teachers who receive tenure is a must because they have been given a great opportunity that so many teachers strive to achieve. Teachers who receive tenure should be constant contributors to the field and they should continue to train and study the different changes in their field. Teachers who fail to evolve should not be given a tenure opportunity.

Anonymous said...

this looks like a double edged sword. No matter which way you go, someone is going to suffer in the process. the best thing about the proposal is getting rid of incompetent teachers.But, something doesn't read right. they need to discuss that further

Anonymous said...

I do believe that a teacher should get tenure if they have meet all the requirement.
Paula Ferguson CD 205 MW

Anonymous said...

I do believe that a teacher should get tenure if he or she has meet the requirement.
Paula Ferguson CD 205 Mw

MsOhSoLuvly said...

I believe taking away tenure would be beneficial for the school systems. This would encourage veteran teachers to work harder and to take their job more seriously. When employess are too comfortable because of a guranteed position they can easily begin to slack off. Its similar to promising a student a passing grade but still expectiong them to do their homework. I love the idea of raising the star teachers salaries and giving bonuses- this will be motivation for all teachers to put forth the most effort possible EACH year. However everything comes with its flaws, without tenure there is no feeling of stability in the teaching profession. This may cause some people to not want to become teachers out of fear that they could lose their job after working for many years.
Sheena Simmons CD-101 sec.F

Anonymous said...

I agree with Delois because that is exactly what it means and that is just plain messed up especially for the students. The teachers get to get over on them and still get paid and they cant even get fired when they are bad. And the topic of good teachers should get it and bad ones shouldn't who really knows if the teacher is bad or good other than the students. They do have observers but of course they will put on their best act to make themselves look good and that is what the school goes with, the act not the actuality
La'Tesha M. Milton

Anonymous said...

darlene
I feel that taking away the Tenure can be a true negative effect. because educator do have a true responsibilty to children.

Anonymous said...

Tenure can have advantages as well as disadvantages. Teachers who are poor at their profession can stay until their tenure is up and there wouldn't be too much anyone could say or do about. It's unfortunate that it's this way because students simply don't benefit from sitting under a poor instructor. Now as far as advantages go tenure is great. I feel that all teachers who love what they do, are passionate about their profession, whose classes stay full for the entire semester, and who can get and keep their students engaged in learning and being involved in class participation should receive tenure. The primary goal is to get rid of the bad teachers and keep the good ones around. Shanta Townsend from CD 120.

Anonymous said...

Zenobia Barker: Tenure is a good thing for teacher it mean teacher are doing their job we need dedicated teachers and thoses teacher that are working hard need to be commended for their efforts.

Anonymous said...

jessica tristan. I agree with wat shameka said. It should be given to deserving teachers.